Besotted Beloved

"Won't it be adharma, Mata?" Nakul asked solemnly.

"Well I can't understand why shouldn't Bhrata Bheem marry Hidimba," Abhijishya commented nonchalantly.

"She is a Rakshasi, Abhijishya," Sahadev said.

"But she really likes Bhrata Bheem. Most probably loves him or else she wouldn't have tried to convince us to leave. She wouldn't have stood against her brother," she said.

"But Putri, how can this be?" Kunti asked.

"Rakshasas aren't that different from us Mata. They just have different traditions, colour and looks. But they also feel the same emotions as us. Anger, pain, sorrow, love. Their heart is similar to us,"she said.

Kunti remained silent. "I am not who is going to be Bhrata Bheem's wife. I know that you have many doubts in your mind, Mata. I just request you to go and talk to Hidimba at least once," Abhijishya pleaded.

Kunti looked at her and nodded. "You are right, putri. But I need to hear what Hidimba has to say, then only I'll make a decision." She smiled and walked away.

"But will this marriage be considered dharma?" asked a thoughtful Arjun.

"Any action or decision taken for the welfare of others with a compassionate heart is considered dharma, Arjun. We often look at the bare bones of the what in a situation and pass judgement. But why it is done, how it is done and with whom it is done for and with should also be considered. That is what I understand about dharma. If Bhrata Bheem marries Hidimba then it will be for the welfare of the entire Rakshas clan. So this marriage cannot be anything but dharma," Abhijishya smiled.

"For a moment, I thought as if Madhav was speaking, Abhijishya," Arjun said looking at her.

"Yes, I guess I have learned a little of Gopal's way of wordplay," Abhijishya laughed lightly.

Yudhisthir said," I agree with you, Abhijishya. You have a clear vision of dharma."

"Thank you, Jyesth. I think anyone with a calm mind, kind heart and clear conscience can see dharma for what it really is," Abhijishya smiled serenely.

Yudhisthir smiled pleased and patted her on her shoulder. Abhijishya's eyes widened and she grinned in happiness.

"What about Bhrata Bheem? Will he agree to marry her?" asked Arjun.

"I think he'll agree. Now his mind is still stuck on the fact that Hidimba is a Rakshasi. Once he moves past that, he'll be able to see Hidimba's inner self," Abhijishya replied.

"When did you become so wise, Abhijishya?" Nakul teased.

"Are you saying I was stupid until now?" Abhijishya narrowed her eyes.

"What- when did I say that?" Nakul protested.

Abhijishya laughed.

"Oh, so you are pulling my leg, huh," Nakul said. "Take this." With that he flung pieces of dried leaves which he picked up from the ground.

Abhijishya jumped aside. She laughed and started running.

"Come here," Nakul called as he gave chase.

"Catch me if you can Nakul," Abhijishya called back.

She raced outside of the cave and emerged into the forest. She turned around to see no one following her. She laughed giddily and leaned again a tree to catch her breath.

"Got you," Nakul said mischievously trapping her against the tree.

Abhijishya's breath hitched seeing and feeling Nakul so close to her.