Impending Heartbreak

Time was a fickle thing. It passed swiftly with every blink of her eyes. Her thoughts were in chaos but her eyes never strayed from him.

Arjun and Bheem had returned earlier with the news of Duryadhan and Karn's arrival in Panchal.

The Pandavs and Kunti were talking about leaving Kampilya in the dark of the night. Abhijishya just looked at Nakul. How the shadows danced on his face from the bonfire. How his forehead creased when he looked thoughtful. How he rubbed his left thumb over his left index finger while talking.

Abhijishya wished Nakul wasn't a Pandav in that moment. She wished he could be some farmer or sweeper or anyone that wasn't obliged to follow dharma and obey his mother, his brothers. She wished he could be just hers, hers to love and she only his.

But then he wouldn't be Nakul. Abhijishya couldn't want that. So she watched and silently despaired for the next sunrise.

She saw how he stretched when he got up, winced slightly and rubbed his thigh. He shook out his leg and looked at her.

The rest of them had just gone inside.

"What? Do I have something on my face? I noticed you were looking at me the whole time," he said rubbing his forehead and cheeks. His long hair had three braids which she had tied when she felt bored. His beard was longer than what she preferred in men. But he was handsome as ever.

Abhijishya just hummed the same tune Nakul often heard. She never sang the words. Once he had asked if she could sing. She had laughed and replied like a dying cat. But the tune was familiar and just another of the small things he loved about her.

She got up and stood before him; close enough to see the reflection of the bonfire and herself in his eyes.

"Can't I just look at you and admire you?" she asked as she interlaced her fingers with his. Nakul squeezed her hand.

He smirked mischievously and said," Like what you see?"

Abhijishya smiled. "Love what I see."

Nakul gently caressed her cheek. "You seemed quieter tonight. Anything wrong?"

"Everything is right in this moment. My heart wants to stop time this very second and never let the sun rise in the sky," Abhijishya said.

Nakul tilted his head and looked intensely in her eyes," If everything is right then why do I see your eyes watering?"he whispered.

"Tears of love, darling. Don't worry. It won't fall," Abhijishya smiled.

Nakul had a light pink hue on his cheekbones. He always did when she called him 'darling.'

Next morning seemed too far but too near at the same time. Abhijishya ran her fingers through his cheeks and settled it at the juncture of his jaw and neck.

"I love you," she simply said. Nakul smiled at her adoringly and replied," And I love you."

Abhijishya closed her eyes and leaned in. She felt his breath hitch and pressed her lips against his slightly chapped ones. Nakul encircled her waist with his arms and kissed her back. She broke the kiss. Nakul still had his eyes closed.

She leaned in and kissed his eyelids and cheeks. She embraced him and she felt his hands hold her gently.

"We should go inside. It-it isn't right to be like this in the open," Nakul whispered. His voice slightly husky.

Abhijishya reluctantly let go but held onto his hand.

They went inside and saw the others cleaning up the room they were given to sleep in.