e i g h t

All she heard were the sharp blares of a siren-like sound echo across the Glade.

It sounded familiar, and Suejin couldn't quite place where she had heard it before. For a minute, she thought that something had gone horribly wrong.

She darted out of the Homestead, half-expecting the ivy-embossed walls of the Glade to have crumbled down to nothing. But, much to her surprise and embarrassment, most of the Gladers seemed uninterested, continuing on with their jobs.

At that moment, Jonathan passed by, and without hesitation, she reached out and grabbed the back of his shirt.

"Woah, what a way to get my attention," he joked, turning around. His grin immediately faded when he saw the worried look on face. "What's wrong?" He asked.

She couldn't keep the panic out of her voice. "What is that sound?"

Jonathan raised an eyebrow. "You mean the alarm?"

"Yes," she gulped, hating the sound of it. "That."

"That's it?" He exhaled softly. "I thought something had happened."

"Something is happening." She huffed. She couldn't help but feel a slight annoyance at his ambiguity. "What is it?"

"Aw, don't be mad." Jonathan said, trying to stifle back his light chuckles. "It's just signalling that time of the month."

"What time?" She said impatiently.

"Well, in about thirty minutes, Suejin, you won't be the Greenie any longer."

"Won't be the Greenie..." Her eyes swept across the Glade, stopping at the metal lift. There were about ten Gladers surrounding the shaft. She understood now. "The Box is coming back up again?"

He nodded. "Bringing up a fresh shank at that."

"That's it?" She asked skeptically, the anxious feelings fading away.

"That's it," he echoed, shrugging like it wasn't much. "No need to worry."

"Aye, Greenie," a voice said from behind her, one that she was extremely familiar with. Newt smiled at her, the corners of his eyes crinkling as he did so. "Ready to go meet the new chap that'll replace ya?'

Jonathan spoke before she could answer. "You should've seen her earlier, freaking out because of the alarm," he laughed again. "Wasn't scared of a Griever, but—"

She punched him in the shoulder, earning a satisfactory ouch from him. "Shut up, Jonathan," She muttered, slowly turning red. "No one told me, anyways, how was I supposed to know?"

"Right that," Newt agreed, although his eyes gleamed in teasing amusement.

"Let's go then?" Suejin said, changing the subject. "Let's go meet the poor shank who has to be stuck here with you two."

After waiting for what seemed like forever, the harsh sounds of chains and pulleys finally came to a halt. A sharp screech rang in the air. Suejin shuddered, knowing fully well that a person, another human being was contained inside the Box. Suejin couldn't remember this part, about being trapped inside with no light at all. She had blacked out, and the only thing she could remember about this day were the voices that had surrounded her.

She stepped aside, letting Newt reach down for the double sliding doors that compromised the Box's ceiling. Another boy stood next to Newt, leaning down to help. Everyone watched in eager expectation, heads craning to see the new Greenbean they would have the pleasure of welcoming. Newt grunted, beginning to pry the the doors open. Suejin cupped her ears at the shrill sound of metal scraping across metal.