t e n

This wasn't supposed to happen. According to everyone, this was completely out of the ordinary. Absolutely and utterly absurd.

  The alarm had gone off again.

  "Two days in a row," Newt muttered incredulously, striding towards the Box, Suejin by his side. "Two bloody days in a row."

  "Two days in row? Has this never happened before?" Even as a Runner, she tried hard to keep up with Newt's long strides.

  "No, the bloody Box has always been on time, once a month."

  They saw Alby in the distance, running towards the Box as well. Thomas was at his side, looking confused and slightly scared. She couldn't blame him, she was sure his emotions matched almost everyone in the Glade right now.

  "Newt, what's going on?" Thomas yelled.

  Newt glanced over at him, his mouth curving into a small smile. "Looks like the new Greenie is just as buggin' confused as we are." 

  They walked over to him. Newt swatted Thomas in the back. "Means a bloody Newbie's comin' up in the Box." He paused for a moment. "Right now."

  "So?" Thomas asked plainly, not understanding.

  "So?" Newt replied, his jaw dropping slightly. "Greenie, we've never had two Newbies show up in the same month, much less two days in a row."

  Thomas still looked lost. "I guess," he mumbled.

  "You'll get it eventually, Greenie." Newt gave him a small grin. With that, He continued towards the Box. 

  Suejin wanted to say more, maybe introduce herself, but she decided now was not the time for formalities. After giving Thomas a quick sympathetic smile, she went off to follow Newt.

  They joined the accumulating mass of Gladers. The alarm had finally stopped after blaring noisily for two whole minutes. Suejin watched the confused Gladers, keeping an eye out for Flo in particular. Suejin couldn't help but worry for her. Unfortunately, she was nowhere to be seen.

  Suejin lost Newt in the crowd, but she assumed that he had gone to talk to Alby. She stood silently, listening to the nervous and excited chatter around her. She gave a small wave to Chuck, smiling in endearment as she watched him talk to the new Greenie. He returned with a toothy smile. Chuck would have some of the answers that Thomas needed. Not everyone was willing to help out Newbies.

  She spotted Alby and Newt pushing themselves to the front of the crowd. They stood right over the shaft doors that led to the Box. Everyone instantly quieted, the eagerness and tension in the crowd almost palpable. 

  Suejin watched in anticipation as Newt and Alby took positions on opposite side of the metal doors. There was a crack down the middle of the square. Hook handles were attached on both sides, and they yanked the doors apart, a puff of dust from the surrounding stone rose into the air.

  Newt pushed himself back into an upright position, mouth agape. "Holy..." he breathed aloud.

  Alby matched his surprise. "No way.....another one?"

  Questions began filling the air, and Suejin watched as the Gladers clamored, pushing and shoving each other to get to the front.

  "It's another girl." Alby said in astonishment.

  Immediately everyone starting talking at once. Suejin only caught pieces here and there, but some of the things she heard made her recoil with disgust.

  "That's the third one?"

  "I got dibs on this one."

  "How old is she?"