f o u r

"Do you really think they're gonna find a cure?"

  "No, it's pointless what WICKED's doing."

  "Well, Mr, Sunshine, if they don't find a cure, your best friend might just die."

  "What, do you believe there's a cure?"

  "Yes."

  "Damn, you're so freaking optimistic, Suejin. There's no cure. WICKED's just torturing us to enlighten their sadistic minds."

  Silence.

  "Sorry Suejin, it's just—"

  "Let's talk about something else."

  "I really am sorry."

  "I know."

  "I think that I like you, Suejin. Maybe too much."

  "Wh-what?"

  "You heard me. I think I might be in love with you."

  "Are you serious?"

  "I've never been more." Suejin felt the heat of someone's breath and then the soft pressure of  their lips unto her own.

  Suejin woke with a jolt. Her heart was beating with a strange acceleration that startled her. The other dreams she had barely remembered, but this one was so vivid, so sensory, so... real. She couldn't remember everything, but bits and pieces of the conversation floated in her mind. The one thing that she was almost sure of was that she had kissed someone, or more accurately was kissed by someone. But who was it? Her head ached with deep confusion, and her heart pained to know more.

  She sat up and looked around. It was still dark. Moonlight seeped through the window, illuminating everything around her. Flo was still asleep, her quiet snores in rhythm. Suejin wasn't tired anymore, actually quite the opposite. She checked the wristwatch she had received from Newt yesterday. It was only three in the morning, but she was too wide awake to go back to sleep. Besides, she thought. How do you go back to sleep from a dream like that?

  She pushed the blanket aside and got up, careful not to wake Flo. She took a quick shower and afterwards changed into an olive green shirt and some dark black leggings. She went outside and found a narrow log that was near the entrance of the Homestead. Sitting on it, she looked up into the sky and gasped. It was full of beautiful stars, nearly taking her breath away. That strange feeling crept up her skin. For some reason, this felt familiar. As crazy as that was, she felt like in another time, she had done this before.

  She desperately wanted to remember, and it was like the memory was on the tip of her tongue. Yet no matter how hard she tried, she got nothing but a blank space. She longed to cry out in frustration. Who was she? Had she loved? Had she cried? And was there someone out there waiting for her? Did she have family? Acute longing filled her heart, and sudden tears formed at the edges of her eyes. You'll never know, will you? Because it's all gone. What's the point, Suejin?  She thought, her heart breaking into tiny pieces. She tried to direct her thoughts elsewhere.

  What was the point in trying to figure out something that wouldn't ever give her an answer?

  What's the most important thing right now? She asked herself, and instantly she knew.

  She was going to find the way out. Not just for herself, but for everyone in the Glade—and when she was out, no matter what it took, she was going to get all the answers she needed. She was going to find out who she was. Who she is.