s e v e n

Suejin felt the familiar rush as her feet tumbled out of the Maze's entrance and into the Glade. Minho followed quickly behind her. They had been partners for today, mapping some of the more complicated parts. 

  She was surprised when Minho had approached her this morning, telling her that she was running Section Seven with him today instead of Jonathan. His words exactly were, "Jonathan has a lot of work to do in Section Four." But she immediately knew that it was a lie. Section Seven was the most difficult one to map, and not to mention, it was physically exhausting. Suejin was infuriated at first, wondering what on earth Minho's intentions were. Was he just trying to make her mad? 

  But something else told her that that might not be it. 

  She had barely spoken any words to him; if he asked her any questions, she would just respond by nodding or shaking her head. She ignored anything else that required her to do more than that. She expected him to demand an answer from her, but to her surprise, he didn't do anything of the sort. If anything, she almost felt like he knew he deserved it.

  It almost made her feel bad.

  Almost. 

  Barely.

  "Nice run today, yeah?" Minho commented from behind her. She hated how he kept trying to make small talk. She wanted so badly to flat out tell him to shut the heck up.

  "Sure," she answered in a voice void of any sort of emotion. She was getting good at talking like this, and ignoring Minho gave her a sort of twisted pleasure. 

  She shrugged off her outer jacket, wrapping it tightly around her waist. The cool evening air felt nice on her bare arms, almost like a healing balm. She was weary and beat down; the complexity of the Maze today had kept her constantly on her feet. She made her way towards the Map Room, ready to put the hastily scribbled papers away and go directly to bed. 

  Then, at least, she could finally escape him.

  She heard footsteps behind her and couldn't help but frown in annoyance. What could this man want now? Sliding the door open, she whipped her head around. Minho's eyes went wide as his steps came to a quick halt. 

  "What?" She asked tersely, not even trying to mask her irritation with him. She was too tired for this. 

  "So," he raised an eyebrow, smirking. "You are mad at me, then?"

  She quickly returned back to the dull tone. "I'm not."

  "You are." He insisted.

  "Not."

  "Why then, are you angry with me?" He was toying with her, and she hated that. She knew that he perfectly was aware of why she was mad.

  She gritted her teeth. "I'm not."

  He shrugged and grabbed the papers from her hand, walking swiftly past her. "Hey," she protested, following him into the small building. "Give that back."

  She watched as he reached for the taller shelves, bringing a large metal box down from it. He grunted, indicating that it was quite heavy. Dropping it to the floor with a loud thunk, he dusted his hands off and muttered, "You couldn't have done this on your own." He thumbed through the stacks, placing the patterned papers in their assigned places.

  She knew he wasn't trying to be a know-it-all, but she was still annoyed. "How would you know?" She bent down and reached for the box.

  Minho groaned, a twinge of exasperation in his voice. "Suejin, believe me, you don't want to—"