s i x t e e n

Flo was inconsolable. She began to thrash about; screaming in terror mixed with agony. The look in her eyes was pure fear, and Suejin wondered if something had possessed her.

  Newt and Thomas rushed to her aide, but Suejin shook her head at them. "It's only going to make it worse."

  "But—" Newt began.

  Flo let out another scream; she was practically sobbing now. Newt and Thomas backed away now, uncomfortable looks on their faces.

  "Flo," Suejin bent down closer to her, placing two hands on her trembling shoulders. "Flo," she said in a firmer tone. "Just look at—"

  "No, no, nooooo!" Flo slumped to her knees, hands covering her face. "No," she bawled. "They're going to get me. They got him, and they're going to get me too..."

  "Flo," Suejin took a hold of her hands, pulling them away from her face. Flo resisted, shaking her head. Suejin would not give up. She pulled Flo's hands apart more firmly. "Look at me." Teary eyed, Flo reluctantly looked up. Her large eyes peered through the mass of wet hair that strung along her face.

  They sat like that for a few minutes—Suejin holding her hands, maintaining eye contact with her distraught friend.

  Then suddenly, Flo's eyes widened, as if she were waking up from a trance. She looked around the cell a few times, and she started to cry again. "Oh, Suejin... I'm sorry."

  Suejin wasted no time and pulled her into a tight embrace. "It's okay, Flo.... you're safe."

  "I-I k-keep having t-these horrible d-dreams," she stammered. "T-they feel so r-real, that even w-when I wake up— " She could barely speak. "I can't t-tell w-what's real or n-not." She sobbed into Suejin's shoulder, dampening it with her tears.

  Newt cleared his throat behind them awkwardly. "Suejin, maybe take her back to the Homestead? Being in here any longer might make the girl bloody sick."

  Suejin nodded, slowly and gently pulling the girl to her feet. Flo's legs were weak and shaky, and she could barely walk on her own. Suejin placed Flo's arm around her shoulder, and they hobbled outside.

  It was a slow process, and they weren't making much process. Suejin could feel her own self weaken; she was practically carrying Flo at one point. Thankfully, she spotted Jonathan in the near distance, and she shouted for him. He ran towards them, eyes immediately filling with concern at Flo.

  Jonathan's face pressed into a frown. "You should've called me sooner." Without a moment's thought, he hoisted Flo into his steady arms, carrying her bridal-style.

  "Thanks, Jonathan." Suejin smiled weakly.

  They walked side by side towards the Homestead, and within a few seconds, Flo had knocked out in Jonathan's arms. She was evidently exhausted from the day's lack of sleep and constant crying. Suejin watched her. Her eyes were shut contentedly, a strangely peaceful look on her tear-stained face. Her head rested on Jonathan's chest, and she looked so small compared to his taller frame.

  When they reached the Homestead, Jonathan continued to carry her up the stairs. They reached Suejin's room, and he rested her gently on one of the beds, being careful not to wake her.

  Once they were out of the room, Suejin rested her back against the hallway wall. She sighed deeply, rubbing her fingers against her temples. Thankfully, Jonathan didn't bombard her with questions. He patiently waited for her, giving her time to think.

  After a few silent moments, Suejin sighed again. "Jonathan, she went completely insane. Screaming, shaking, crying—it was like she was in a completely different dimension. I could barely get her to look at me."