f i f t e e n

"You're bloody kidding, Tommy?" Newt ran a hand through his hair. "You guys killed them?"

  The four of them—Suejin, Newt, Minho, and Thomas—were sitting outside the Homestead a few hours after dinner. Alby had quieted; he was fast asleep, and Suejin more than relished the peaceful silence.

  Minho nodded. "We're serious. We sent them flying down the Cliff—tricking and dodging them when they came. If it wasn't for Thomas," he turned and looked at Thomas. "We'd be dead." He shook his head. "He shuckin' saved Alby too."

  "Unbelievable." Suejin said incredulously, hope rising in her chest. She beamed at Thomas, giving Newt a sideways look. She knew he was meant to be a Runner.

  Newt said nothing, frowning in thought.

  "Newt," Minho said seriously. "This is the most that's happened in the past two years." 

  "Yeah I know, Minho," Newt furrowed his eyebrows. "I'm trying to think."

  "What's there to think?" Minho leaned back. "Let's make him a Runner." His voice rose excitedly. "If we can kill em' maybe we have a shot at finding the way out."

  Thomas' eyes lit up, and he looked at Newt expectantly. Newt gave Suejin a glance. "What?" Suejin shrugged, plucking a few strands of grass out of the ground. "You already know what I think."

  Newt sighed. "We'll discuss it tomorrow morning. My brain bloody hurts, and I'm shuckin' tired." He looked at all of them, an uneasy expression on his face. "I've called a Gathering. We still have to figure out what to do with Thomas." He gave Thomas an almost apologetic look. "I'm sorry Tommy, but you broke the rules."

  Thomas immediately looked nervous. But before he could get in a word, Minho spoke. "You have to be kidding me, Newt." His eyes flared. "Didn't ya hear me the first time? Alby and I woulda been shuckin' dead, if it wasn't for him."

  Newt instantly looked uncomfortable, but his face twisted into irritation at Minho's outburst. "Bloody hell, I get it, Minho. Shuckin' calm down. You act like we're gonna banish him into the bloody Maze or something."

  "Sounds like it." Minho grumbled. "First day as buggin' leader and this is what you wanna do?"

  Hurt flashed in Newt's eyes for a brief moment, but he ignored Minho's last comment. "He broke the most important rule." Newt muttered. "We can't just let him off the hook."

  Minho shook his head. "I'm tired of all the damn procedures. My patience is getting thinner and thinner by the day, Newt." He pointed at Thomas. "This guy is our only hope."

  Newt rubbed his temples, sighing deeply. "That's not the only bloody issue. Some people don't trust him here. They think he knew the girl."

  Suejin looked at Thomas, sensing his strong discomfort. He didn't say anything, and Newt turned to him. "Turned this whole place upside down, you bloody shank. Half the Gladers think you're God, the other half want throw your butt down the Box Hole. Got lots to talk about."

  "Like what?" Thomas said, looking more unsettled than ever.

  "Patience." Newt replied, and Minho scowled. "You'll find out after wake-up." Newt stood up. "I'm going to sleep, you shanks." He yawned. "It's been a long day."

  "Bye, Newt." Suejin said, while the rest of the boys remained silent, sullen looks on their faces. Newt nodded at her and walked away. 

  "Minho," Suejin said sternly, once Newt was gone. 

  Minho gave her a sulky pout. "Don't nag. I know."

  After a few silent moments, Thomas spoke. "I don't know what to think." He pulled his knees to his chest. "Only been here for a few days, and already half the Glade hates me." He spoke bitterly. "It's not my fault all these stuff keep happening." He lowered his head. "I barely understand it myself."