e l e v e n

Suejin watched tremulously as Alby unbuttoned the collar and wrapped it around Ben's neck. Ben finally looked up, large tears forming in his lackluster eyes. "Please Alby," he murmured in a pleading tone. "I swear," his bottom lip started to tremble. "I swear I was just sick in the head from the Changing," his voice became shaky and hoarse. "I never would've killed him—just lost my mind for a second. Please," he begged. "Alby, please."

  Alby gave no response, his face identical to earlier. He yanked on the collar, making sure it was solidly attached to the pole. He slid his fingers to the end of the pole and turned to face the crowd of onlookers. Ben's bloodshot eyes gave him a deranged look. He breathed heavily, seething in anger. 

  Suejin suddenly felt her insides twist, and suddenly she felt a deep pang of guilt. It twisted into her gut like a knife, and it was like she almost felt responsible for this boy's misery. But I'm not, she thought in a weak attempt to assure herself. She couldn't understand why she felt this way, it matched how she had felt a few days earlier, in the room with Minho and Ben. She tried her best to shake off the almost nightmarish feeling, but watching Ben suffer so horribly only poured more salt in her wound.

  "Ben of the Runners," Alby began, his voice loud and solemn. "You've been sentenced to Banishment for the attempted murder of Thomas the Newbie. The Keepers have spoken, and their word ain't changing. And you ain't coming back." He said with finality. "Ever." He paused for a moment, and the Gladers stared on, not a word spoken. "Keepers, take your place on the Banishment Pole."

  One by one, boys started to step out of the crowd and walk over to the pole. They grabbed it with both hands, their grips firm and ready. Suejin stared at Minho, watching the evident conflict in his eyes. She hated this for him. She could only imagine how he felt, forced into sending his second in command into Banishment.

  "Please," Ben groaned, voice slowly rising in desperation. "Please!" He screamed shrilly. "Somebody, help me! You can't do this to me!"

  "Shut up!" Alby bellowed.

  Ben continued on pleading, staring into the eyes of every Glader. "Someone stop them, Please!" His miserable voice echoed across the Glade, and he looked like a lamb being led to the slaughter.

  Suejin instinctively turned her head, burying her face into Jonathan's shoulder momentarily. She would not look into those eyes. I can't look into those eyes, she thought. Not when I feel like I could be responsible. I'm so sorry, Ben. She thought miserably. 

  "If we let shanks like you get away with that stuff," Alby said, "we would've never survived this long. Keepers," he ordered. "Get ready."

  It was happening. No, please, no. Suejin cried inside, begging to no one. Please don't do it.

  "No, no, no, no, no," Ben said hysterically under his breath. "I swear I'll do anything! I swear I'll never do it again! Plea—"

  His cry was cut off by an unmistakable rumbling. The familiar sound of thunder resounded across the Glade, and the East Door began to close. The massive walls began to move, pieces of rubble and stone flying into the air. The ground began to shake beneath them, and Suejin wanted nothing more than to run away at the knowledge of what was going to happen next.

  "Keepers, now!" Alby yelled.

  Ben was jerked forward, his head yanking back. An inhumane, strangled cry shot up from his throat. He collapsed to his knees, but only to be wrenched back up to his feet. The combined strength of the Keepers were no match for the boy, and he was pushed closer and closer to the edge of the Glade.