s e v e n t e e n

Vivid, sensory images.

  A gentle breeze rustled through her dark hair. The scent of salt intermingled with a musky, warm scent.

  Was she...... at the ocean?

  Her head rested against someone's chest, and she felt herself bury her head deeper into the person's embrace. They murmured against her hair, letting out a sound of perfect happiness. She smiled sweetly, and felt someone's arms tighten around her waist. She felt warm, light, and dizzy—an almost euphoric feeling.

  But most importantly..... she felt safe.

  "I'm so happy," she suddenly whispered. "After, all this time—" She felt herself choke up, and a tiny tear slipped down her cheek. "We finally made it."

  She felt someone lean down, kissing her tears away. They tilted her chin up gently, giving her a sad smile. "We did, didn't we, darling?"

  Suejin's heart melted at the affectionate term. Deep longing surged through her chest, and she wrapped her hands around the person's neck. She pressed her lips against theirs. They instantly responded, their lips moving in a lovely synchronization with her own.

  Suejin didn't wake up from her dream—instead she fell into a deeper slumber, enjoying the most blissful sleep she had ever experienced since she entered the Glade.

  "Jonathan?"

  Suejin had just returned from Thomas's last day of training. She was was sweaty and tired, but proud of how much he had picked up within the last few days. It only reaffirmed her presupposition that he was truly meant to be a Runner. 

  She stared at Jonathan in surprise—she didn't expect to see Jonathan come out of their room, an awkward and self-conscious look on his face.

  "Oh," he said with equal surprise. "Suejin."

  She gave him a questioning look. "What—" her eyes trailed to a sleeping Flo in her room. That's all Flo seemed to want to do lately—a perfect escape from reality. 

  "What were you doing in there?" She asked sternly, placing her hands on her hips.

  His eyes widened, a dark red spreading across his cheeks. "Please don't misunderstand. Let me explain."

  "Explain then."

  He sighed. "Can we go outside? I don't want to wake her up."

  "Fine." She responded tiredly. What could Jonathan possibly have to explain to her? Something told her he had been in their room more frequently since Flo came back.

  They stepped outside, and Suejin crossed her arms, leaning against one of the Homestead's walls. Jonathan ran a hand through his hair. "I promise it's not what you think. We're not, she's not—"

  Suejin let out a small laugh at his panicked expression. "Jonathan, I don't think of you like that. But am I correct in assuming you've been spending a lot of time with her lately?"

  He nodded wearily. "I wasn't trying to. I stayed with her until she woke up, like you asked me to a few days ago. It was bad. She woke up with one of those nightmares." He gave her a rueful smile. "It was pretty bad like you said. Kinda gave me flashbacks."

  "Dang," Suejin groaned, immediately feeling guilty. "That's so thoughtless of me. I shouldn't have let—"

  "It's okay." He scratched his head awkwardly. "It didn't take her very long to calm down. Although," the same blush crept into his cheeks. "She didn't calm down until I held her. Wouldn't let me go for a while."