f o u r t e e n

Suejin sat near Thomas and Minho, watching them get treated by the Med-jacks. They were in one of the rooms in the second floor of the Homestead, sitting on empty beds. Clint, the Keeper of the Med-jacks, was treating a nasty cut on Minho's face, while Thomas was having a gash on his arm wrapped up by Jeff. There were only two Med-jacks in the Glade, and sometimes Suejin wondered why it was so.

  Clint dipped a cotton cloth in brown liquid and pressed it onto Minho's face.

  "Ow!" Minho yelped for the millionth time, glaring at him. "Take it easy, will ya?"

  "Sorry, Minho," Clint replied indifferently, continuing to dab on the murky substance.

  Minho gave him a dirty look. "That shuckin' hurts, you bastard."

  Clint looked up and scowled. "Well maybe if you weren't being such a shuckin' baby, we'd be done by now."

  That shut Minho up, and he sat sulking for the rest of the procedure.

  Thomas on the other hand, remained quiet and even-tempered, but Suejin wondered if it was mainly because of his concern for Alby's well-being.

  Minho hadn't spoken to her since her emotional outburst, but she had caught him giving her small, furtive glances. Every time she would meet his eyes, he would quickly look away, almost as if he were.... embarrassed.

  She shook her head, not understanding him in the slightest. If anything, it should be me who is embarrassed. She thought. But a huge part of her couldn't care less, she was extremely relieved that they were alive. She stared at them both, a warm glow forming in her eyes.

  Minho met her eyes again, and she gave him a small smile. His eyes widened a little, and he looked almost confused. When he didn't look away, her smile lingered. A tiny blush sprouted on his cheeks, and he instantly looked away, cursing under his breath.

  "Well," Clint said after a few minutes, looking at their bandaged wounds. "That should be it."

  "Finally," Minho said, eyeing the plate of food on one of the stands. "The first damn time Frypan's food is going to taste a lot more than klunk."

  "Thanks," Thomas mumbled. He rubbed his eyes, and Suejin could tell that he was exhausted. Minho didn't say anything, spooning food hungrily into his mouth.

  When the Med-jacks left, Suejin sat awkwardly, watching them eat in silence. "Uh," she said, getting up as well. "I'll let you guys rest."

  "Wait, Suejin." Minho protested a little, staring up at her. "About earlier—"

  "Minho." She gave him another smile. "You need to sleep."

  "But—"

  "I'll come by later."

  He nodded reluctantly. "Plus," she said, a tiny grin forming. "You look shuckin' awful."

  He gave her a glare. "Yeah, I know. Not everyone can look as good as you, Suejin."

  Suejin blushed in surprise. This was the second time. Before Suejin could get in a word edgewise, Minho spoke. "Now go away," he averted her eyes, going back to eating. "I'm frickin' tired."

  "Okay, okay," she said, raising her hands in mock surrender. "Bye, Thomas."

  "Bye, Suejin." Came Thomas' quiet reply.

  She walked down the hallway, seeing that one of the doors was slightly ajar. Curiosity got the best of her, and she peered in, seeing the girl from a few days ago. She was very pretty, with tar colored hair and delicate features. Her face was a little too peaceful, giving off an eerie aura. Suejin frowned a little. If anyone hadn't said otherwise, she would say the girl was dead. She might as well be if she doesn't wake up any time soon, she thought.