Chapter 1- Part 4

Part 4-Neverending waves

The three adventurers proceeded forward with a slow stride, vision was limited and dungeon enemies usually are not bothered by the darkness.

As they moved forward, the hallway slowly became smaller and tighter. The slow fleshy footsteps turn louder and not long after, the sight of the humanoid flesh lumps could be seen faintly just before the next corner.

In labyrinths, the amount of floors generally indicates the difficulties of the dungeon. With each step taken downward, the number of monsters often grows in numbers and strengths.

One theory is that a dungeon core is capable of exerting its mana outwards, influencing its surroundings. The denser and stronger the mana core is, the higher the complexity of its labyrinth. Not to mention the core will exude specific mana which can strengthen monsters, some much better than the others.

A goblin that resides in a forest labyrinth will be stronger than one that resides in a seaside labyrinth. Similarly, a goblin that resides on the second floor is weaker than a goblin that resides on the fourth floor.

A principle that applied to the labyrinth the trio was conquering, the shapeshifters might look the same, but their speed and strength were of a different level.

The monsters did not even shapeshift into something else, staying in their roughly humanoid hunk of flesh, they attacked with what could be their deformed attempt of arms and legs, unleashing an onslaught of barrages to the front line.

Each blow was heavy and dented the shield slightly, but D was unfazed. With each blow received, he moved forward with shields troped up.

Lillith and Vibey followed suit, sword slashes and magical attacks strewn through the upcoming monsters. Most of the monsters survived, but they were damaged enough to stop their attacks.

Fortunately for them, the hallway was not a long one. A few minutes after their initial charge, they were able to see some form of openings. A small gate with no doors, the shapeshifters could also be seen pouring out from it.

"Through the door! Block it once we are in!" Lilith shouted.

D increased his pace and reached for the gate, it was shorter than your common doorway on houses, but large enough for someone to go through.

With the three of them successfully passing through the gate, D turned around and prop his shields up as a makeshift barricade to the small gate.

Inside the room, the interior contrasted greatly with the hallway they have been running through. Rusty metal plates covered both walls and ceiling and weird dials accessorised the surfaces.

Surrounding them were the shapeshifters, which were continuously coming out from tubelike machineries from the corners of the room. In the centre, stood tall another large glass tube with pipes connecting to the floor.

Trying not to mind the bizarre room they are in, Lilith turned around and channelled her mana to D's tower shield.

"Cover me!" said Lillith.

D and Vibey responded swiftly, each of them quickly taking a stance against the upcoming shapeshifters, newly born from the machines around them.

With limited light, Vibey limited her movement and instead, increased her pace of attacks. With each hastened swing, she could feel a familiar energy building in her arms.

"Whoa, look! This is it! The feeling I told you about, the faster I swing my sword, the more I-"

"Not... now..." Lilith groaned and cut off Vibey's word, as she was too focused on completely blocking off the gate.