Chapter 1 - Part 6

Part 6-The core

Battered and exhausted, one worse than the other. D took the most beating out of the three, tanking every attack from the chimaera.

His skin was still dark as charcoal, though its colour slowly faded to grey. As his complexion brightened, so were his wounds, a number of chips and cracks scattered throughout his body now visible to the eye.

The cuts were deep yet there was no blood, in its stead small chunks of his body fell and sounded a few clicks, just like stone.

The trio had never known what had befallen D, was it an ailment? A curse? Or perhaps something more sinister? None of them understood, however, they did know, this is what had been keeping D alive ever since... their home.

Beaten but alive and breathing, D reached to his side and prodded the vials on his belt. Two red vials left, or what they used to be.

The vials were cracked in the clash, spilled all its content with nary a drop left.

"Deedee, here"

Vibey approached with four red pots in her grip, all the healing potions she had left.

After sharing a quick glance, D grabbed two of them and gave Vibey a nod. Both corks pop and he immediately downed two of them empty.

"I think you need to take all four, your wounds are-"

D raised his palm towards Vibey, signaling 'no', it is enough. After popping the corks back in, he handed both glass pots back to Vibey and sat down.

It was the usual from D, and Vibey was not exactly fond of that behaviour of his.

"Fine, fine, just.. concentrate on healing"

D could be very hard-headed, especially when it comes to himself. Always sacrificing, yet asking for nothing. Equipment, tools, and everything else, he always chose whatever is left.

To Vibey, that brought her only concern, afraid of the day he would sacrifice too much, for he had.

On the other side of the room, Lilith was cooling down her mana pool, breathing in as slowly as possible and concentrating on her mana.

Faint smoke emanated through her skin, sweat evaporating immediately upon exit, her mana flow was currently scorching from the amount of mana she used in the battle.

In... and out...

A few moments of controlled breathing, her reddened skin slowly reverted back to a lovely soft beige. She looked at her hand, now back to a colour that is more... human.

Feeling normalised, she walked back to her siblings, sitting side by side and resting.

"All right, stand up you two, I will need a quick check"

"Eh... It should be fine, no? We fought well, and we promised not to push ourselves" Vibey replied.

"Stand up Vi, I need a quick check"

"Jeez, alright"

First was checking on Vibey, she clasped her hand onto hers, interlocking her fingers in-between. Slightly tip-toeing on her legs, their forehead touched and Lilith connected both of their mana points.

"Lulu?" Lilith asked,

"Yes? Lili?" A voice echoed within Vibey

"I will need you to share your mana, I am checking both of your condition"

"Well uh... it is fine, totally" Lulu hesitated at her request.

"Lulu." Lilith asked again, commandingly.