Chapter 1 - Part 7

Part 7-The missing ones

The short event that just unfolded in front of them was definitely not what they expected, nor a thing they had even heard of.

After emitting a weird patterned glow, it failed in summoning the supposed dungeon boss, and the core shattered itself into pieces afterwards.

Its shards strewn throughout the room, with each piece still emanating a faint pulsating glow. Following its scatter, the dark room was slowly lit back up by the scattered pieces.

Visibility had increased for three, with sources of light all around, they had a better view of the state of the core room. A small uneven sized room, odd patterned brick laid upon its walls and ceiling, cracks of dirt and stone filling the gaps in betweens.

Near the walls at the back of the room, they also saw various humanoid figures, though it was noticeable that they posed no danger, for the slumped figures were human remains. Laying down in various positions and stacked in messy piles.

Some of the corpses were dried and deteriorated, bone exposed through the thin layer of rotting skin - despite that, no foul smell nor any sight of flies or maggots. A few though looked more intact than the others, a clear sign that their deaths were rather recent.

Noticing the bodies, Vibey hurried towards one whose complexion was brighter than any of the decaying corpses. She quickly strutted across the room and approached a man slumped in one of the corners.

"Hey, I think this one is still breathing" Vibey directed her siblings attention to the corner.

The young man, looking no older than twenty, dorned in basic adventurer's equipment. On his neck, a glint caught Lilith's eye.

She followed suit and approached the body, with her right hand, her fingers reaching out to the adventurers dog tags; a brownish-grey metal, two small slabs, strapped onto woven cloth string.

"Iron II, Job: Rookie, Archie of Wirdun"

"Wirdun, one of the nearby town, which means-" realisation came to Lilith and she quickly inspected the rest of the corpses.

Iron III, Job: Swordsman, Liscarl

Copper I, Job: Archer, Lucianne Caru'evich

Iron III, Job: Blacksmith, Rufus of Wirdun

Three of the bodies still had their dog tags donned around their neck, the rest of the corpses however, had nothing definitive that helped to identify them.

A closer look made it clear however, that they were wearing either basic adventurer gear or common folk clothes. Without a doubt, these piles were those who had gone missing in the Beginner's Cave.

By finding their remains, Lilith's party had fulfilled their main quest objective, though not in a way she wanted it to be.

"...Help.. her..."

A weakened voice whispered through, the young man in Vibey's arms was gaining consciousness.

"Please don't move, I need to make sure you have no serious injuries before we can transport you out" Vibey softly replied.

The young man was looking very weak, his complexion pale and his body limp. With another breathe, he continued to mutter

"..Hel.. her..." he continued and glanced at his right hand.

In his weakened grip, he was holding onto someone's hand, a severed arm.

His senses were too dull to recognise anything around him, not even realising the individual he was holding onto had nothing left but her arm.

Vibey was slightly horrified by the severed limb, but she held back, bit her lips to avoid herself from shrieking and quickly gained back her composure.