1 - It's Rude to Stare

"Hufflepuff!" the Sorting hat yells as it is placed on my head. I grin as I start heading over to the Hufflepuff table. Both my parents had been Hufflepuffs and they'll be delighted to hear that I got into their house. 

           After the feast, we are brought to our dorms by the Hufflepuff prefect. "Hello! I'm Annabel Entwhistle," a girl says. I look at her. She has slightly wavy brown hair and dark brown eyes. "Brooklyn Macmillan. Brooke for short," I say with a smile. "Cool. I guess we're sharing a dorm room for the rest of our time here, huh?" she says. Just then the door opens again. A girl with dark hair and glasses walks in. "Oh, hello. I'm Poppy Caxton," she introduces herself. "That's nice. We're going to be great friends. I just know it!" Annabel exclaims. She talks too much. "Mm," I reply, not bothering to open my mouth. "Did you guys see that hot boy in the common room?" Annabel asks suddenly. "What hot boy?" Poppy asks, suddenly interested. "You know. The one in the year above us? Taffy brown hair and soft gray eyes?" Annabel says. "I heard he plays Quidditch too!" Poppy says. I lay my head on my pillow as the two gushes over the 'hot second-year'. 

          The next morning, I walk down to the Great Hall with Poppy and Annabel. "There he is!" Annabel whispers, pointing at a second year. He wasn't even that hot. Poppy giggles loudly as we walk past him. I roll my eyes. "Seriously guys. He's not even that good looking," I say. "Brooke! Have you got no eyes? Look at him!" Poppy says. The three of us turn and look at him. He's staring back at us. "Nope. Don't see what's so good about him," I say dismissively, turning back to face my food. "He's staring at you," Annabel says. I turn my head quickly and sure enough, he's staring at me. "What's his problem? Doesn't he know it's rude to stare," I grumble, picking at my bacon. "What's your problem?" Annabel asks. "One has to be blind to not be able to see how handsome he is," Poppy continues. One has to be completely stupid to swoon over some older guy that they barely know because of their looks. 

          That week, I caught him staring at me multiple times. He looked at me with intense curiosity. As if he was trying to figure me out. I ignore him and I shake this weird feeling pass. "This project is so pathetically boring. How about we sneak into the Kitchens?" Annabel suggests. "The sooner we finish, the better off we are," I insist. "I admire you," Poppy says quietly. I'm taken back by this. "Me? What for?" I ask in a surprised tone. "You're a no procrastination type of person. If it weren't for you, Annabel and I would be slacking off in the Kitchens right now," Poppy admits. "The way I see it, get the things you need to get done first and then be a pig after," I say. "Good thinking," Annabel says quickly, scribbling some notes down.

            I head into Transfiguration, which is the only class I have without Annabel or Poppy. I glance around the classroom to see if there were any empty seats. There was one near the middle of the classroom. I take a seat next to the two redheaded twins in our year. "Hello," I say pleasantly as I place my books down. The twins look at me and grin. "Hey. I'm Fred," one says. "And I'm George," the other one says. They looked identical so seconds after they introduced themselves, I forgot who was who. "Brooklyn Macmillan. Brooke for short," I say. "You're the girl who's friends with Poppy right?" one asks. I blink. "Poppy?" I ask confused about why they brought her up. "George has a crush on Poppy," one says. "Fred, you can't just go telling everyone!" the other one scolds. Alright. Fred is on the right and George is on the left. "Crush? On Poppy?" I ask. "No," George says while Fred nods his head rapidly. Poppy's already fallen for that second year. "Well, she's in the Gobstones club. Maybe if you join, you'll get to know her better?" I suggest. 

        I suddenly catch a strong whiff of... warm Butterbeer? I look up and I see that the 'hot second year' just walked past me. He walks up to Professor McGonagall and hands her a note. I look down and I could feel his gaze on me as he waits for Professor McGonagall to read the note. 

       "Is he still staring at me?" I whisper to Fred. Fred looks up. "Diggory? Yeah, why?" he answers. Huh. So his name is Diggory. "I don't know. He's always looking at me. It's creepy," I say, shuddering a little. "Well next time he stares at you, tell him that it's rude to stare," Fred says, dismissing the subject.