21 - Edward... Stay

Warning - some parts of this chapter may be disturbing to some people. I also tried to describe the action as accurately as I could.

~ Edward ~
As Victoria landed on the snow softly, I hear a scream from above us. Brooke. I had to get this over with quickly otherwise Brooke would most likely die. I charged forward and attempted to hit Victoria. Something else landed in the snow. Riley Biers. He starts running for me but something flies towards him chopping one of his hands off. Seth. I continue to fight with Victoria. It was an equal fight until Riley managed to shake off Seth. As I was distracted by Victoria, Riley wrapped his hands around my neck in an attempt to rip my head off. Suddenly, I smell something strong and sweet. I look over to Bella who had blood gushing out of her arm. She held a stone in her other hand and I realized this was to distract Victoria and Riley. I quickly grab Riley and throw him towards Seth. Seth eats him as I rip Victoria's head off. Her body crumples as I light a match. I throw the match on her and the fire burns both Victoria and Riley's bodies.

"Where's Brooke?" I ask frantically. We separated before. We went a bit higher up and she went left. "Thanks," I mutter to Seth. I grab Bella and I run to where Seth said he last saw Brooke. I look around and I see her lying in the snow. The snow around her was stained red by her blood. I rush over to her. "Brooke!" Bella says, kneeling down. "Brooke, can you hear me?" I ask. Her thoughts were in a state of panic so I wasn't able to make out what she was thinking. Besides me, Bella lets out a gasp. "Edward!" Bella says, pointing at Brooke's shoulder. I look to see where all the blood was coming from. On her skin was the outline of someone's teeth. Someone had bitten her. She was turning into one of us.

"Can't you suck the venom out as you did for me?" Bella asks. "I can't. She's been here too long. The venom's already traveled too far into her body," I say. I look at her once hazel eyes which were now cloudy with specks of red. "Let's get to Carlisle and the others," I say, picking up Brooke. Brooke wraps her arms around me and I hear one clear word in her panicked thoughts. Edward.

I arrive in the clearing and everyone is gathered around a newborn. Rosalie is the first to notice me. She has a smile on her face but it disappears as she sees Brooke lying in my arms. "What the hell happened," Rosalie says, her voice rising. "Victoria got to her. I was too late. Victoria bit her," I say in a low voice. "Carlisle. Isn't there something you can do?" I ask. Carlisle examines the teeth mark on Brooke's shoulder and shakes his head. "The venom's too far in. She's turning," Carlisle says. "Someone has to know something. The Quilettes?" I ask. "They might," Carlisle says slowly.

I follow the scent of the wolves to Jacob Black's house. "What are you doing here, vampire?" Leah Clearwater snarls. "Where's Billy or Sam?" I ask. "Inside, why?" Leah asks. She looks into my arms and sees Brooke. "Their in Jacob's room. If you try anything, you're dead," she says, inviting me into the house. I carry Brooke into a small room. "What happened?" Jared Cameron asks. What the hell did this vampire do to her. "Billy, is there anything you can do to save her?" I ask desperately. "Anything? Isn't there something in your ancient stories?" I ask. Billy looks at Brooke who was writhing in pain on the bed. "She's already too far in," Billy says grimly. "There has to be some way," Jared says. "There is no way," Billy says. I silently curse in my head. "Well, then, it's over right? The treaty's broken. We can kill this asshole now," Jared says. "The Cullens are no harm to us," Sam says. "You should go now before something happens," Sam says.

I took Brooke back to the house where Rosalie was swearing at me in her thoughts. "I'm upset about this too," I say. "You didn't protect her enough," Rosalie spat. "How was I supposed to protect everyone?" I ask, getting fustrated. I place Brooke on the sofa. "This is all your fault," Rosalie accuses. I was about to protest when Brooke lets out another scream of pain. "I'll get Carlisle," I say. "Edward... stay," Brooke whispers weakly. "Rose, get Carlisle," I order. Rosalie rolls her eyes and exits the room to find Carlisle. A few minutes later, Carlisle enters the room with Bella. "She doesn't want me to leave," I tell Bella. "That's alright. If it makes her feel better, I'm fine with it," Bella says. "Looks like you've got competition, Bella," Emmett says, entering the room. Bella gives him a small laugh. "Why does she want you to stay? I'm clearly the better option," Emmett says. "You're really not," Rosalie says. "Is she going to be alright?" I ask Alice. Alice closes her eyes and focuses on Brooke's future. "She'll survive. But she won't be happy about it," Alice says.

On the third day, I ask Alice when she'll wake up. "Fourteen minutes," Alice says. Fourteen minutes later, Brooke's eyes snap open. Her eyes were no longer hazel. They were a brilliant red. She was beautiful, really. If I hadn't loved Bella, I would've probably fallen for her. "Are you feeling okay?" I ask Brooke. "What happened?" she asks. "You got... hurt," I say. "I feel sore," she says. "Carlisle, she feels sore," I tell Carlisle. "That's natural," Carlisle says. "Brooke, do you feel thirsty?" Carlisle asks Brooke. "No. Why?" Brooke asks. Jasper and I exchange looks. "I actually want to speak to Carlisle alone," Brooke says suddenly. Edward, take the others out of the room. Carlisle says through his head. "Fine," I grumble and I tell the others to leave the room.