16 - You're as Fragile as a Human

Muggles have this thing called "prom". Where people dance and stuff. It didn't bother me that no one asked me because I probably wouldn't have gone anyway. "You should come with us. We'll go as friends," Alice suggests. "Actually, I was thinking of going back to London for the summer," I say. "Prom is before summer," Jasper points out. "Couldn't hurt to go early," I say.

When I arrive in London, Heather and Poppy were waiting. They both give me a warm hug. "You missed a lot," Poppy says. "Toad headmistress," Heather says, rolling her eyes. "Fill me in," I say.

Summer passed quickly and soon, I was back in Forks. Ugh. I have school tomorrow.

When I get to school, I see Bella holding a camera. "Do you mind if I take a picture of you? My mom wants me to start scrapbooking my high school experience," she says. "Sure," I say, putting on a smile. She snaps a picture and thanks me. "Here. It's from London. Happy Birthday, Bella," I say, handing her a present. "You didn't have to. Next time I'll make sure you promise not to get anything," Bella says. "That'll be a promise I can't keep," I say. Edward comes toward us. "Happy-" he starts to say. Bella stops him. "You promised not to remind me it's my birthday," she says. "And that Jacob Black can?" Edward asks. "Jacob?" Bella starts to ask and then she turns around. A buff kid starts heading our way. "Happy Birthday, Bells," he says, handing her a small box. "Keeps the bad dreams away," he whispers.

At lunch, Alice is going on about a party. "We have to throw Bella a party," Alice says. "Alice, I don't want a party," Bella says. "Too bad. I already saw a party and you'll be there," Alice insists. "Rosalie, Brooke, you're helping me decorate," Alice says. "Ugh. Do we have to? I want Brooke to come shopping with me. There's a new store opening at the mall," Rosalie says while examining her nails. "Do you think I should go for light pink or blue?" She asks me. "Er, either would look good," I tell her.

I'm at the Cullen's house to help Alice with the decorations. "Put this at the table," Alice says, handing me a glass vase. I place it carefully on the table. "Brooke!" Rosalie yells from the stairs. "Yes?" I ask. She comes down and shows off her outfit. "How does this look?" she asks. "I thought you didn't care about Bella's party," I point out. "I still dress to impress," Rosalie says. "It looks nice," I say. "Perfect!" Rosalie exclaims.

Edward finally manages to convince Bella to come. So it's nighttime and Bella is awkwardly standing in the middle of the room. "Here's our gift to you," Esme says, handing a gift to Bella. Bella starts opening it and stops. "Papercut," she says. A single drop of blood hits the carpet and everything starts moving in slow motion. Edward pushes Bella away in an attempt to get her away from Jasper, who was being held down by Emmett, Alice, and Rosalie. Bella crashes into the table where I had put the glass bowl earlier. I rush over to Bella's side to help her.

Bella's arm is now covered in blood and there is glass everywhere. "Reparo," I mutter as I flick my wand. The glass fixes itself and takes the form of a vase again. "Are you alright?" I ask Bella. She's clutching onto her bloody arm. "You're going to need stitches," Carlisle says. Bella follows Carlisle into another room. Edward lets out a groan. "This is my fault. I shouldn't have brought her here. Hell. I shouldn't have gotten close to her. I'm a danger to her," he mutters. "Edward, it's not your fault. People get papercuts all the time," I say, trying to make him feel better. "Well, people don't get attacked every time they get a papercut," Edward fumes. "Look, nothing happened tonight. Just let it go, okay?" I say. "No. This is not about what happened tonight. This is about what could have happened tonight!" Edward roars. I shrink back because who knew what he would do when he was this angry. "Sorry for taking my anger out on you," he mumbles. "It's alright," I say as Bella comes back into the room. Edward leaves to bring Bella home. "I should go too," I tell Esme. "Nonsense. You should stay here for the night," Esme insists. "I'm still human. I need sleep and you guys don't have beds," I joke. "Esme is right. You should stay," Rosalie says. "And Edward has something to tell us all," Alice adds.

Right on cue, Edward bursts through the door. "We're leaving Forks," Edward declares. "Why is there suddenly a need for that?" Carlisle asks. "We are a constant threat to her. All of us non-human creatures," Edward says, looking at me. "I'm human enough," I say. "We're leaving, alright?" Edward says. "I can't believe this. We have to restart our lives because of one petty human?" Rosalie hisses. Rosalie is against the wall in seconds. "Edward. Let go of her," Emmett says with a warning in his voice. "Edward," Esme says gently. Edward hesitantly lets go of Rosalie. Rosalie storms away and Emmett follows her.

"You're coming with us," Edward says. "No, I'm not. You can't tell me what to do," I tell him. "Please," he says as his voice cracks. I look into his sad eyes. "Alright," I say, giving in. "Thank you," he says, giving me an awkward hug. "You're as fragile as a human," he says.