Epilogue: Choose To Live

"I want to lie down," I huffed, letting out another yawn.

Leon, who had both eyes on the road, chuckled beside me, "I told you to sleep early last night, it's your fault for staying up."

"Hey, I needed to be a good best friend," I countered, "Especially when the cause of my best friend's troubles is my own husband's best friend."

"Pat's trying his best, okay?" he laughed, "Besides, there's a little pressure on him since this is Zoey's first stable relationship."

Which was why she didn't know how to handle most of their arguments.

"But at least they got together eventually," I hummed happily because it was a long road for them to get there.

And when I said long road, I really meant it. They met when they were in high school and it took them this long. Granted, Pat still dated around during college and Zoey got stuck on her crush with Christian so it did delay them a bit.

I was just so glad that after a year and a half of being a fool for a guy who absolutely did not deserve her, Zoey finally broke it off with Christian. Here was the worst part – even though they've had a thing for that long, he still didn't put a label on it.

All I can say was that I went over to her dorm and popped open a bottle of champagne when she told me that they were over.

"All it took was several years and our wedding."

My fingers instinctively went to touch my wedding band that I wore. We finally got over our honeymoon phase when we graduated high school. Leon and I dated long-distance during college and like any other couple, we got into fights and arguments. It was heightened because we barely saw each other and we lived miles apart.

But every single time that I was mad at him, all I had to do was look at the whistle.

If we got through that, then there was nothing that could stop us from pursuing this love we shared, as corny as it sounded.

So we survived through constant communication and understanding. On my graduation, he asked me to move in with him and I gladly said yes.

We rented a rather good sized apartment for a couple of years and he proposed on our eight anniversary. It took us more than half a year to plan the wedding before we finally got hitched and here we were.

And because Zoey was my maid of honor and Pat was his best man, they spent a lot of time together with helping us plan the wedding. On the eve of the ceremony, the magical kiss happened that concluded years of unresolved tension between the two.

Well, most of the tension coming from Pat.

It definitely wasn't smooth sailing for them though, which most of it was attributed to the fact that this was Zoey's first official relationship. She had seen other men before, but none of them reached serious relationship status.

But she did love him. I always joked to the boys of how much we talked about her and Pat, which always frightened him since he thought that he had done something wrong, but it was the complete opposite. Sometimes, her insecurities just gets the best of her because she knew that he had more experience with dating than she did.

All she wanted was to be the girlfriend that she thought he deserved. Meanwhile, he was trying hard to be the best boyfriend to her.

Those two were too nice for their own good.

But at least I was assured that they were going to take care of each other.

"And finally, we're here," Leon sighed in relief, watching those automated gates open for us. He drove into his parent's house, the place that we shared so many memories from our teenage years.