Chapter One: First Day

"Avery, Zoey is here," I heard my mom knock on the door, but just like her pleas to call me down to dinner, I ignored her.

No, I didn't want to talk to anybody. Before Pat or Zoey could see me, Leon managed to drag me back to his car where I made a complete spectacle of myself. Instead of saying anything, he was simply quiet and handed me tissues until I calmed down.

We drove around the neighborhood multiple times because we were sure that Pat would recognize his car so we had to get away from my house. When I've done my final sniffle, he drove me back home. I once again mumbled a quiet thank you before exiting his car.

Mom bombarded me with questions, but I gave out a simple plea, "I just want to be alone right now."

And her, knowing fully well how I was, didn't pry and allowed me to lock myself in my room. Though she did ask me to come to dinner multiple times, but by the fifth one, she finally gave up.

I was under my little pile of blankets, I didn't even both with changing my clothes.

With another knock, I expected my mother's voice once again but instead, it was Zoey, "Avery, can we talk?"

Zoey was everything you'd picture a doting big sister could be. She always had this gentle and caring smile, that excited gleam whenever you're about to tell her something, she was filled with assurance, and you could never be afraid of being judged when you were with her.

She was beautiful, anyone could see that. If she didn't go to an all-girls school and kept her circle of friends so close, she might have had multiple boyfriends by now. She was talented in playing the flute, was cultured, knew how to cook, and the quintessential perfect girl.

When I introduced her to Pat, I thought nothing of it. She knew I had a boyfriend and she had been urging me to introduce him.

The sun was up, blaring down at me as I stood there in the middle of the parking lot with my puny umbrella trying to block its rays. I told Pat to go ahead because his team still had to do warm ups and I even said that he could bring his keys with him.

Should have asked for them and stayed in the AC of the car.

I finally released a sigh of relief when I saw Zoey walking towards me, her small purse hanging on her shoulder, "Avy, I'm so sorry I'm late."

I wanted to act upset but she immediately handed me a thermos filled with cold water. She grabbed my hand and started to pull me towards the direction of the field.

Zoey went to another school and she mentioned that while hers excelled in music and the arts, their sports were quite lacking. She went on a whole tangent of going to those school games and such. Knowing fully well that Pat had a game coming up, I mentioned it to her and there was an immediate twinkle in her eyes.

So I invited her to the game. Besides, it was the perfect opportunity for them to meet.

She gathered more attention than I expected. That blonde hair and bright blue eyes, paired with her flowy dress, I should have known. Also, I should have also warned her to just dress up in a pair of jeans or something.

"So, which one's yours?" she asked, her eyes roaming around the field for any hints.

"Number three," I said, sipping the cold water she gave me.

She squinted her eyes to get a better look of Pat, before that usual smile graced her pink lips, "Oh, nice catch."

"Zoey!" I exclaimed.

She laughed heartily, placing a hand on my cheek, "My gosh you're blushing."

I swatted her hand away, focusing my attention back to the game. Pat kicked the ball, sending it over half of the field, earning an excited squeal and clap from me. She stayed with me throughout all my fangirling during the game.