Chapter Twenty-Four: Please Stay

Leon was really good at being respectful and making sure I was a hundred percent comfortable with everything.

He mentioned that what he wanted to talk in a place where he was sure none of their household employees might run into. He asked if he was okay with me being in his bedroom or if I would prefer that we go into the study or even one of their guest rooms.

I went with his room because I trusted him.

So I sat there on his fancy computer chair while he rummaged in his huge walk-in closet. And while he was out of sight, there wasn't much for me to do aside from doing a whole scan of his room.

Once again, his house called me poor in at least fifty languages.

He had a dual monitor computer set up, a king sized bed, a huge flat screen TV where all of his gaming consoles were nearby, and from where I was sitting, I could see the marble peeking through the door of his ensuite bathroom.

Okay, he was completely out of my league. At this point, I was convinced that I didn't even have the right to have a crush on him.

"Here we go," I heard him say out loud, exiting his closet with a box in his hands. I straightened my posture quickly and waited for him to pull up another chair and sit right in front of me.

He slowly took off the whistle from his neck and placed it on his palm, showing it to me the same way he did yesterday when he tried to give it to me. I stared at it intently, trying to decipher if anything was different, but it looked exactly like the one I had.

As if he was reading my mind, he mentioned the similarities, "They look identical, don't they?"

I nodded my head, finally taking off my whistle so I could side by side to his. He gingerly took it and flipped it, putting it right next to his, "Look closer."

And so I did.

I was practically pressing my face against his hand just to see before I finally noticed. It was right there above the holes, the small letter engravings that I saw before.

Mine had A.B.C. while his had L.C.

"What do they mean?" I asked because when I first saw it, I didn't think much about it because it looked like the damn alphabet. Apparently, there was much more to it.

To my surprise, he shrugged, "I don't know too."

My head shot up to look at his face because from the way this was going, I thought he was going to reveal a life changing fact.

"But," he said, passing the whistles into my hands and opening the box that he had pulled out from his closet. From that, he took out a piece of paper and held it up for me to read, "The letters on mine are the same from this."

Blow three times on the whistle and please save her.

- L.C.

I had no idea what was the context of that note, but it made my blood run cold. Even if I didn't know what it was about, anxiety started to crawl through my veins and it took everything in me not to fall into a full-blown panic attack. I had to stay focused on this conversation, no matter what.

"This box randomly came into the mail, it contained the two whistles and this letter," he further explained, "I did what it told me and the next thing I knew, I woke up on the first day of junior year."

Just like what happened to me.

"So it was literally a random day?" I asked, clutching the whistles like a vice, "There wasn't any special occasion or anything when you got them?"