Chapter Fifteen: All Over

Content Warning: Mentions of sexual assault. Nothing too graphic. I have also included a CW in the blurb of this story.

Cute skirt that would definitely get Pat's attention? Check.

Black tank top that accentuated whatever curves I had? Perfect.

Brown ankle boots that created a long illusion of having longer legs? Yup.

A rather cool wind breaker to keep me warm enough in the slowly lowering temperature of fall season? Look is complete.

It was the first party of the school year and for some miracle, I was going with Pat. While I was slightly afraid of what was to come, I have been mentally preparing myself all week.

I cannot let the past that I've experienced mess with how I want to enjoy things in the present.

Well, technically I was still in the past but that was beside the point.

"You look nice," mom complimented when she passed by my room, "Don't stay too late, alright?"

Back then I wondered why my mother was lenient with me. Sure, she had moments where she was strict just like any parent, but for the most part, she let me do what I wanted. Even though I gave her nothing to worry about – I had rather good grades, she had already met my closest friends, and I haven't done anything bad – I soon realized the real reason.

Maybe carrying the guilt of hiding such valuable information about your husband from your own daughter would do that to you.

"Okay, mom," I replied, turning away from the mirror and smiling at her, "Also, I'll be careful."

I kissed her on the cheek goodbye just as Pat texted me that he was near my house. I fluffed up my hair one more time and got out of the door, opting to wait for him outside. I've been making sure his and my mom's interactions were kept to a bare minimum because I know she was rather chill, my love life wasn't something I was fond of discussing with her.

And while I would rather have him just stop the car so I could slide in then be on our way, he was rather a gentleman and wanted to at least get down to greet me.

"Hey," he smiled, pressing a kiss on my cheek, "You look fantastic."

"Thank you," I grinned, "Shall we?"

It was picture perfect. Absolutely picture perfect. The freaking image of a high school couple on their way to a friend's party. It looked like something out a coming-of-age film with indie music playing in the background.

And then, Zoey happened.

You know those scenes in the movies where a door opens and out comes the prettiest girl in the whole cast with boss bitch music playing in the background? Yeah, that was how it all came out inside my head.

First it was one red stiletto, followed by a long leg, then emerged Zoey's whole form. She flipped her perfectly curled hair, strutted in her black denim shorts, and looked amazing in this blouse that kept her usual vibe intact even if her outfit screamed badass.

She rarely dressed like that. While people thought that Zoey was beautiful with her usual charming sweet self, this side of her was what made boy absolutely mad. Spunky, playful, and drop dead gorgeous.

And Pat was no exception to thinking that.

She spotted me on her way to her car and her face instantly lit up, "Avy!"

Even though I knew it would only end up in heartache, I looked over to Pat.

Lo and behold, I was right.