Chapter Thirteen: Breathtaking

"Zo, I need to go!" I screeched the moment I opened my eyes and saw the clock on her bedside table. I gave her a shake to wake her up. I was in a huge hurry that shoving her was the only thing I could do aside to pray that it at least stirred her awake.

I fell asleep at Zoey's, as if it wasn't obvious yet. The rush to get back to my house and into new clothes was honestly draining whatever energy I had for the morning. I ran up to my bedroom so fast that I almost knocked mom over when she was on her way down.

All the while that I prayed Zoey would take a little bit longer to get ready. Pat would be here any minute and the last thing I wanted was for him to see her.

Because I was terrified that how he might react.

I trusted Zoey with all that I had but at this point, Pat and I just started going out. Heck, we've only been in one date. And like I said, I couldn't predict the events anymore.

While I was faffing around, mom just sat there with a coffee mug in her hands and watched me in amusement. As you can tell, this wasn't the first time that I unintentionally stayed over at Zoey's so this wasn't completely out of the norm for her.

"I'll wait for Pat outside, mom," I puffed out, a little out of breath from all the running around. I grabbed a breakfast bar and kissed her on the cheek goodbye, "See you when I get home."

"Have a nice day, sweetheart," she laughed, not even bothering to cover up how funny she thought this whole situation was.

Alright, we need to follow precautions here, Avery. Make sure to constantly check if Zoey was going to walk out of her front door. If she does, do your absolute best to distract Pat or tell him to drive away instantly. Remember, Pat and Zoey shouldn't see each other.

Maybe I was overthinking all of this, but I just want him and I to work out, okay? Liking a guy and wanting to have a stable relationship was not a crime.

When I saw his car approaching, I didn't bother to wait until he came to a full stop. I ran over to the vehicle, swung his door open and practically jumped inside.

"What's with the rush?" he chuckled once I closed the door. I attempted to flatten my hair because it was a disheveled mess due to my mad sprint.

"I overslept," I replied casually, still continuously glancing towards Zoey's house.

He shrugged and started to drive the moment I buckled my seatbelt, which earned a huge sigh of relief from me. I would seriously not blame Pat if he was having second thoughts about dating me or if he thought that I was weird. I wasn't going to deny that I was, but has he noticed how out there I've been acting lately?

Like don't even get me started!

The normal and average teenager just trying to find her way through life character was completely out of the window. You are now looking at a time traveling girl who has brought her past traumas with her and was actively trying to alter the events of the future for her own benefits because I don't know about you, but my life sucked.

Love that for me.

"Is she okay?" I heard Mia ask when she got inside the car after Pat came to a stop in front of her house. He shrugged in response, probably gave up on trying to comprehend this girl having an inner monologue on his passenger seat.

I gasped and turned to her, "What do you mean?!"

"You know that scene in the second Princess Diaries movie where she was making different faces with the fan when her grandma had her back turned?" she asked and I nodded in response, "You looked like that, minus the fan."