Chapter Sixteen: Silver Whistle

Leon's POV

When I woke up on that Monday morning, everything felt off.

I looked around my room and nothing was out of the ordinary and yet, there was something gnawing me at the back of my head. Maybe I was just being paranoid, but it was so unsettling that I couldn't place what it was.

On my desk was the neat stack of notes that I had been continuously receiving from Avery. While I had told her many times that it wasn't necessary, I found it adorable that she kept insisting. Not that I didn't appreciate it though, just having me occupy the tiniest of space in her mind was enough for me.

Even if it stemmed from a little white lie. I never found the lesson difficult – in fact, I think I've memorized it at this point. However, spending even the shortest time with her made me want to continue on with this.

But now, I have no idea what to do. No matter how hard I tried, Pat still ended up breaking up with her.

If only I didn't oversleep that day, I could have stopped him from seeing Zoey and this large snowball wouldn't have rolled down the hill.

Just one mistake and everything that I had been carefully tiptoeing around just crashed onto the ground.

"Leon, your mother told me to wake you up," a knock on my door sounded and I knew it was our maid, "Do you have an special requests for breakfast, by the way?"

"I'll just have whatever my parents are having," I said back and I heard her footsteps walk away.

In the end, I couldn't calm Avery after Pat talked to her. In fact, I never got a chance because she already pushed me off. I understood where she was coming from and I respected the fact that she needed space, but to say I wasn't a little bit hurt was all a lie.

So I told Pat that I wanted to leave, ditching the party way earlier than intended. After that, I never heard of anything else throughout the whole weekend. Pat had told me how guilty he felt and even though I was frustrated beyond belief, I didn't want to blame him.

Because this was nobody's fault. I shouldn't point fingers because at the end of the day, you cannot control other people's feelings.

I just wish that Avery was still alright after all of that.

I took a shower in my en suite and sitting there on the small marble bowl by the sink was my silver whistle. I place it there every single day to make sure that I never forget to bring it with me.

I've always wondered if the other whistle that I gave her had any effects. I've done so many attempts at this point, but that one moment in the car was the first time I've successfully managed to make her wear the whistle.

Now I only had one whistle in my possession. Whether it made a difference or not was something I had yet to find out.

Grabbing the silver whistle, I turned it over and squinted my eyes at the engraving. During the first few times I've used it, I didn't even notice it because of how small the letters were.

L.C.

I have mused a couple times before that those were there because they were my initials, but I never got to figure out their true meaning. The whistles still remain a mystery to me, no matter how many times I've used them.

But speaking of the amount of times I've used them – I was exhausted. This was more of a mental game than a physical one and it was so draining.

Well, I know that spending more time dwelling on this wouldn't give me more information than what I already know. I proceeded to get dress, grab my backpack, then headed downstairs.