Chapter 15

Brian fell onto the ground with a loud 'thud' having the air knocked out of him. He gave a wheeze trying to compose himself and try to quick recover from the impact. He looked up at his brown-haired friend that was staring smugly down at him. Jack's red eyes stared at Brian with amusement as he gave a chuckle. "Not funny..." Brian said in between breaths.

Located in the clearing of woods were two kids. A small petite boy and a tall scrawny teen.

Brian rolled over onto his stomach struggled to get up. "Are we done yet?" Brian whined feeling his muscle ache from the many times Jack attacked him. "It hasn't even been 50 minutes," Jack said raising his eyebrow as he stared at Brian. The young boy was shaking and it seemed he could barely keep his head up to look at the him. He was breathing heavily as his curly hair covered part of his vision. "Aren't kids your age supposed to have non-stop energy?" Brian struggled to lift his head to glare at him.

"Don't act like your that old. Your only 3 years older then me and I'm only 12..."

Brian leaned back to stretch his back and he gave a moan once he felt a satisfying 'pop'. "I don't think its normal for a 12 year old to practice hand to hand combat." Brian eyed Jack watching him spin the soccer ball. "It's not exactly hand to hand combat," Jack started as he tucked the ball under his arm. "All you have to do is steal the ball from me, even just for a second. Simple as that." Jack shrugged his shoulders nonchalant. "Also, I don't think a 12 year old, like yourself, has a brain like yours."

"What is that supposed to mean?" the young boy stared at Jack looking slightly offended. Jack raised his hands in defense. "All I'm saying a kid your age isn't as aware of their surroundings like yourself." At that moment Brian's legs gave out and he tumbled to the ground.

"What is the point of doing all this anyway? Can't we pick this up tomorrow. It's 9 pm and I don't know how much more I can take of you jabbing me in the shoulders," Brian whined trying to rub the sweat from his forehead. "That isn't going to happen. You need to learn this as fast as possible. What if something horrible occurs and I'm not here? What are you going to do?" Brian gave a loud groan at Jack's explanation for the brutal training. Jack pinched his nose in annoyance and gave a sigh about to give in and postpone the session until tomorrow. Seeing as how it's useless to argue with Brian when he is like this unless you give him a good proposition. So, instead of actually postponing it he decided to lesson the challenge.

"How about this?" Jack started as this causing Brian to perk his head up in interest. Jack looked down and noticed his shoe laces were untied. Jack could have sworn he tucked it tightly in his boots. He bent down to tuck his shoelaces back in. "At least touch the ball and we'll stop. Is that fine with you?" Jack looked up wondering why Brian didn't respond.

Jack was shocked when Brian was no where to be seen. Jack was wondering where he went and how he didn't hear him get up.

At that moment, Jack felt the wind in the air shift. It took him just a second to figure out where the source was; behind him. Jack looked from the corner of his eye to see a black figure's arm stretch out. With fast reflexes, Jack managed to move the ball from making contact with the arm. Just a millisecond late and the black figure would have grazed it.

Jack quickly jumped back a few feet away from him. He was wondering how he couldn't sense him behind him or better yet smell him. The black figure immediately followed Jack's movement. In a blink of an eye the figure was in front of Jack. Once again, the figure's arm was stretched out in order to at least touch it.

Jack gave a 'tch' and again moved it out of the figures reach raising it above his head using his height against Brian. Brian thought fast and luckily they were next to a tree. Brian lifted his leg up on the tree and kicked off jumping off from the tree and in the air and once again had a third chance to touch the ball.