Chapter 13

Troye cleared his throat. Connor glanced over from where he was trying to pry the door off its hinges with the force of his will and his fingertips. 'That's like, the tenth time you've done that,' he informed Troye. Troye did it again, pointedly. Connor sighed and turned back to the door. 'Maybe if I just kick it a few times..'

Troye cleared his throat again, more aggressively. Connor hadn't even thought that was possible.
'I need coffee,' Connor announced in an attempt at obliviousness, desperately trying to avoid any conversation about feelings. 'Could we save the creepy shed for another day, do you think? Postpone it for when my skull doesn't feel like it's being crushed?'

Troye sighed.
'Troye, I'm getting some really passive aggressive vibes from you and-'
'You're not the only one who was drinking last night, you absolute douchecanoe.'
Connor blinked at him. 'Oh.'
'Yeah, oh. I was in the bathroom about to, I don't know, throw up the entire contents of my stomach or something, when Sage and mum ambushed me. This isn't fun for me either.'
'Oh,' Connor said again. 'Sorry.'

For a few minutes, it was silent. Then.
'Are they talking?' Laurelle called from the house.'
Tyde's voice echoed back from right next to the shed. 'They're too busy being dumbasses!'

'Are you eavesdropping on us?' Troye demanded. There was no window, so it just kind of looked like he was questioning the shed wall. He looked like a bit of an idiot, Connor thought fondly.

'Not anymore,' Tyde's voice came back through the wall. 'I can't take another second of your obliviousness, I'm out. I surrender. You win this round, homiesexuals.'

'I hate my family,' Troye muttered. Connor grinned. 'That's the spirit.'

Half an hour later, footsteps thudded across the grass, along with a familiar scent.
Connor was at the door in a second. 'Coffee!' He announced, seeming as excited as a republican witnessing the second coming of Christ.
'Just passing by,' Sage informed them. 'With a delicious cappuccino. Mm.'
Even without seeing her, it was easy to picture the smug expression she would be putting on.
Connor made the most betrayed face Troye had ever seen. 'Why are you torturing me like this?'
'This coffee could be yours for the low price of an actual conversation about actual feelings,' Sage said, and left, with the cappuccino. The coffee smell followed. Connor's stomach growled.

'I hate your family,' he agreed darkly. 'That's the spirit,' Troye said. Connor whacked him on the shoulder.

Ten minutes later, Connor finally surrendered. 'Okay, let's just talk.'
Troye stared at him incredulously. 'Seriously? You're going to give in because coffee?'
'Let me speak,' Connor said seriously.
Troye's mouth twisted, but he nodded.

Connor breathed in deeply. Keep calm, he told himself.
'Okay, so I sort of kind of maybe have a hugely massive crush on you with your stupid freaking hair and your dumb birthmark and your completely idiotic personality and I might be a little bit in love with you but please don't hate me,' he said in a rush. 'Oh god.'

He started backing away towards the door, resolving that if things got desperate enough he could always return to the kicking-it-down plan.

Troye blinked several times in rapid succession. 'You.. have a crush on me?'
'Please don't be weird about it,' Connor said quietly. 'Please don't stop being my friend.'
'What if,' Troye asked, stepping closer, 'I don't want to be your friend?'

Connor pushed himself against the door, trying not to stare at Troye, whose eyes were wide and his cheeks flushed.
'If you don't want to be around me anymore, I get it,' he said quietly, feeling a lead weight in his stomach. 'I know I'm not-'

'Shut up,' Troye said.
Connor blinked up at him. He was so close now Connor could see all the different threads of blue in his eyes.
'I'm just trying to say that I'm sorry if that makes you feel uncomfortable and I won't blame you if-'

'I'm in love with you, you idiot,' Troye whispered, the words hanging in the few centimetres that separated them.
'You.. what?'

Troye rolled his eyes and grabbed the collar of Connor's shirt. 'Do I seriously have to spell it out for you?'
'Please,' Connor said quietly, feeling like there wasn't quite enough air in his lungs.

One of Troye's hands brushed across his cheek and then Troye was kissing him. It was a careful sort of kiss, as if Connor was something fragile or breakable, and Troye tasted of strawberries and sugar and something else but Connor immediately forgot as Troye's hand reached up to tangle in his hair.

'Do you understand now?' He asked Connor, when they finally pulled apart. Connor leaned against the wall, breathing heavily. 'Maybe. But just in case, maybe you should go over it again.'
Troye smirked.

A/N
Tronnortwinkies.tumblr.com hmu
It's finally here whoop tronnor finally occurred I apologise for all continuity errors bc I'm too lazy to read back the old chapters aha but sorry for the late update everyone was so polite asking me to update that I finally got round to it so thanks for motivating me guys ✨💕 ily bye