Chapter 8

A/N OKAY so basically this story used to be first person but I've gone through and changed it to third person so sorry if you've been reading this for a while the change might be a bit odd but it's a lot easier for me to write and I think it makes it sound a bit better idk??

Connor didn't want to dance. Troye didn't want to force him, and besides, if he said he wasn't distracted it would be a lie. He remembered Tyler telling him to 'play hard to get', fresh in his memory, but after the afternoon they'd just spent together Troye wasn't sure if that was really the best tactic. Even the platonic cuddling was still cuddling, and that was a hell of a lot better than pretending not to like Connor in the vague hope Connor might chase after him.

Connor coming out was amazing - Troye told himself it was because Connor was becoming a more honest person, and it was true, but it was also because a selfish part of him knew there was a higher chance of Connor liking him back.

Connor kept flirting, too, and Troye found it so irritating because he had no idea if Connor was doing it on purpose, if he had any idea how Troye jumped a little every time he went to look at Connor and he was already looking back at Troye. Every time Connor smiled, Troye felt this little flicker in his chest and it was becoming far too distracting.

'Troye!' Connor shouted over the music, bringing Troye back to reality. 'I'm going outside for some air quickly, okay?' Troye nodded, not bothering to try speak over the booming music. Realising he had a rare opportunity, he pulled out his phone and dialled Blessing's number as he headed into the hallway to escape the noise.

'Darling!' Blessing answered on the first ring, 'do you know what time it is?'
Troye tried to do a mental calculation. 'No,' he admitted, 'but you picked up, so it can't be that late.'
'I know that tone,' Blessing said curiously. 'What's the matter?'

'I don't know what to do, Bless,' Troye told him desperately. 'Connor went outside but I don't know how long I have until he gets back and I really really really need your help.'
'Three reallys,' Bless commented. 'You must be in some serious trouble.'
'I really am,' Troye sighed.
'Okay, tell, and then I shall coun-sel,' Bless said.
'That didn't rhyme properly,' Troye commented.
'Darling! Time is running out!'

'Okay. So like, I like Connor,' he started.
'Obviously. Is that your dilemma? I could have told you that,' Blessing told him smugly.
'No, of course that's not the problem,' Troye snapped, losing his patience. 'Sorry. But I like Connor, and this is HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL but Connor came out to me this afternoon- no, stop squealing- and then I was trying to comfort him and we kind of ended up falling asleep cuddling. And my family totally thinks we're dating. And I asked Tyler what to do but he told me that I should play hard to get but I don't know if I want to or if I even can. It's only been a day since I spoke to Tyler and if avoiding Connor was the plan I've been doing a horrible job.'

'Tyler said that?' Blessing asked when Troye had finished his tirade.
'Bless, I think you're focusing on the wrong part here-'
'Hush,' Blessing said. 'What you need to do is completely disregard what Tyler told you to do.'
'Why?'

There was a pause, then he said, 'Just trust me, Tyler doesn't know what he's talking about.'
'Are you sure?' Troye asked dubiously. 'I know he hasn't had a relationship in a while, but-'
'Sweetpea, Bless knows best. Connor obviously isn't opposed to cuddles, so I say go for it, okay?'

Meanwhile, Connor had had exactly the same idea. He leant against the wall, breathing in deeply as he stared up at the stars. 'Connor?' Ricky's voice echoed from the phone. 'Are you there?'
'Yeah, I'm here. I just need some advice.'
Ricky didn't reply, obviously waiting for him to go on.

'Remember that thing I told you a couple of months ago? The thing that no one else knows?'
'Oh, the gay thing?' Ricky asked, then laughed. 'I just got the weirdest look from Kian.'
'Could you keep it down?' Connor hissed, 'you know I'm still not.. out.'
'Of course,' Ricky said sincerely.
'Thanks. So, uh, about the thing-'
'The gay thing, right?' Ricky confirmed again.
'Yes, Ricky, the gay thing,' Connor groaned, raising his eyes heavenward.

'You like Troye,' he stated.
'Well, yes, but I mean- wait, how did you know about that?!'
'Dude, it's obvious,' Ricky laughed.
'No it's not,' Connor said, slightly offended. It wasn't obvious at all.

'And you want my advice on how to pick up Troye?'
'Well, I mean, I already spoke to Tyler and he said I shouldn't try anything with Troye in case it ruined our friendship, but then we sort of cuddled and our friendship is not ruined at all so I need a second opinion. And you're the only one who knows about the thing'
'The gay thing,' Ricky said.
'Shut up,' Connor grumbled, glaring up at the moon. 'Honestly, I don't know why I bother.'

'It's a good thing you do bother,' Ricky informed him, 'because Tyler is wrong. So wrong. Completely wrong. He's never been more wrong.'
'Really?'
Ricky just scoffed in response.
'Just keep doing what you're doing, okay? Obviously it's working if you guys snuggled and such.'
Connor could almost hear the eyebrow wiggle. 'Shut up, judgeypants,' he complained. 'Thanks, though. You're my fave.'
'I know,' said Ricky smugly. 'I'm everyone's fave.'

Connor made his way back inside just in time for a piercing scream to deafen him. He flinched backwards along with everyone else, simultaneously. It probably would have been a pretty amusing sight if not for the fact that the source of the scream was Sage, Troye's sister.

Laurelle and Shaun were already at her side, and as Connor hurried over he saw Troye and Tyde coming from the opposite direction, Troye slipping his phone into his pocket. 'Sage!' Laurelle called, bending over the girl, who lay sprawled at an odd angle on the floor next to one of the trampolines. 'My back,' Sage whimpered, 'it hurts.'

'We'll have to take you to hospital,' Laurelle said, slowly helping Sage to her feet. The girl stumbled slightly, dazed. 'Me and Connor can take her,' offered Troye, stepping forward. 'It's no trouble. Besides, you're meant to be chaperoning, aren't you?'
Shaun and Laurelle exchanged those irritating glances that married couples did where they had entire conversations without words. 'Okay, but text us when you get there,' Shaun told them authoritatively.

As they escorted Sage through the crowd of worried faces and to the car, Sage said, 'I swear to god if I have to see you two make gooey eyes at each other, I will get out of the car and walk to the hospital myself.' 'We just shared a bed, Sage, it's not a big deal,' Troye rolled his eyes. 'You and your friends sleep in the same bed all the time, who cares?'
Connor felt a sinking feeling in his stomach, but kept his face blank as best he could.

Sage slid into the backseat carefully, whimpering as her shoulder got jostled. 'Whatever you say,' she muttered under her breath. 'Walking is still an option,' Troye reminded her. 'Just drive,' she groaned, 'I could be dying.' 'Sure,' Troye snorted as he and Connor slid into the front of the car, 'whatever you say.'