Chapter 5

'Tyler, pick up the goddamn phone, I swear to god,' Troye cursed as the phone kept ringing. Finally, a sleepy Tyler Oakley said grumpily 'it's sleeping time, Sivan, this better be good.'

'I need your help,' Troye said abruptly. Realising how loud he sounded, he lowered his voice, fully conscious that even though his family was on the other side of the house, Connor was asleep in the next room. The last thing Troye needed was for him to overhear this conversation.

'What is it?' Tyler sighed, though Troye could hear him perking up. If there was one thing Tyler loved, it was mysterious late night dilemmas. 'I think I'm in love with Connor,' Troye blurted out, and then froze. That hadn't been what he'd meant to say at all.

'Okay..,' said Tyler uncertainly. 'Is a question somewhere in there?'
Troye groaned, flopping onto his bed dramatically like a girl in a teen movie. 'I don't know,' he sighed, staring forcefully at the ceiling. 'He's not even gay, you know, but oh my god do I want to kiss him. It's kind of a problem.' He could hear Tyler mask a snigger from the other end of the phone. 'Cute,' he said, and Troye frowned. 'You don't sound surprised.'
'Oh, I'm not,' Tyler said, 'I'm always on top of the gossip.'
'Whatever,' Troye grumbled, not caring at the moment how Tyler had found out. 'The point is, I don't know what to do. Like, do I tell him? Do I send him home?'

Tyler hummed thoughtfully. 'Honestly,' he told Troye, 'my advice would be to ignore him. Well, not ignore him, but play hard to get, you know. If he wants you, maybe it'll make him act on it if he thinks you're becoming uninterested.'

'Okay,' Troye said thoughtfully, 'thanks, Tilly.' He asked Tyler about LA, keeping half his mind fixed firmly on the conversation and allowed the other half to wander. It wasn't bad advice, per se, and if it didn't work he could always go back to how he and Connor acted now.

'I've gotta go,' Tyler said suddenly, a hint of laughter in his voice, 'someone else is calling me.' 'Okay, bye,' Troye said, finding something weird about his amused tone.

Tyler was gone before Troye could say a proper goodbye, and he was left staring blankly at the ceiling, still as unsure of what to do as he was ten minutes ago. He sighed deeply, and resigned himself to counting sheep.

Connor woke up yet again at one a.m, his restlessness preventing him from falling into a deep sleep. He rolled over and let his gaze drift in and out of focus, before giving up on falling back asleep and sliding out of bed. He pulled his phone out of his jacket pocket and dialled an all too familiar number.

'Hey, Connor,' answered a suspiciously amused Tyler Oakley on the first couple of rings. 'I was going to say sorry for waking you, but you don't sound like you were sleeping,' Connor said curiously. 'Isn't it past your bedtime?'

'Duty calls, my friend,' Tyler said sagaciously. Connor rolled his eyes. 'Okay. Cool.' They were left in silence for a minute, until Tyler asked, 'is there something you wanted?'

The tone in his voice made Connor feel like Tyler already knew, although honestly Connor still wasn't really sure himself what he was going to ask.

'I don't know,' he told Tyler honestly, falling back down onto the bed with a sigh.
'Okay, let's talk life then. How's Australia? How's Troye boy?' 

Connor groaned, and could easily imagine the innocent look on Tyler's face as he asked, 'What? Was it something I said?'

'You know it was,' Connor stated, still suspicious of the barely concealed laughter in Tyler's voice. 'Have you been talking to Troye?'
'Why?' Tyler asked, still in that irritatingly innocent voice. 'Would I have found out any juicy goss if I had?'

Connor thumped the mattress angrily, debating the pros and cons of throwing his phone across the room and pretending this phone call had never happened. There were a lot more pros than cons- honestly, Tyler wasn't helping in the least. 'I don't know,' Connor groaned again. 'God, have you actually talked to him?' he demanded frantically. He sat up suddenly, worry coursing through him. 'Did he say anything about me?'

Tyler let out cackle, and Connor gripped the phone tightly, refusing to let his irritation at Tyler overcome his love of his iPhone. 'Chill, Connor, I haven't even talked to him this week. I was just messing with you,' Tyler laughed.
'I hate you, Ty,' Connor groaned.

'Whatever. So why would Troye be asking me about you, huh?' 

Connor could practically hear Tyler's thirst for gossip over the phone and sighed, deciding to trust him. 'So, say, hypothetically, a guy goes his whole life thinking he's straight-' He started. 'Is this hypothetical guy 22 years old?' Tyler asked blandly. 'You know, just so I can be as helpful as possible.'

'Shut up. So, say, hypothetically, someone lives their whole life thinking they're straight, and then one day they look at their friend and they're like 'Wow. Congrats. You're beautiful,' which is kind of normal, but then they're like 'Holy crap, you're actually the most beautiful person I've ever seen and I really want to kiss the crap out of you right now, Troye.' Hypothetically. What would that person do?'

'Well, if I were speaking to that person, which I'm clearly not- and yes, I am rolling my eyes right now,' Tyler informed Connor, 'I would honestly say, take it slow. Your friendship is amazing. You don't want a crush to ruin it, you know. What if Troye doesn't feel the same way?'

Connor rubbed his eyes, not sure if his advice was sound or if that was just his sleep deprivation kicking in. 'Right. Sure. Great advice. And there's nothing between you and Troye, right?' He asked cautiously.

Tyler scoffed. 'God, no. Look, you're two of my best friends and I just want you to be happy, so maybe it's better that you're happy as friends than unhappy as an awkward unrequited crush.'

Connor nodded thoughtfully, actually seeing the sense in his words. 'Thanks a lot, Tyler,' he smiled sleepily, 'You really helped me out. I owe you.'
'No problem,' Tyler said. 'Now get some sleep. I'm not even sure you're awake enough to remember this conversation.'
Connor smiled again as he hung up, feeling blessed to have friends in his life who always looked out for him.

A/N

Whooooa an update what is this lmao sorry I'm on exam leave so I just wrote this at like 1am, I'm not really sure what it says but here you go anyway I guess?? Is Tyler good or evil? Tune in next time I miraculously find motivation to find out! Thanks for voting and reading and all that yay <3 you're all hella rad. Also there is going to be a plot I swear I'm getting there okay bear with me ily bye
Oh also I just figured out how to use paragraphs, 16 years into my life. So those are a thing I guess, expect them in the future k cool