13 - chasing sunsets

✦✦✦

"Are you really sure about this?" Chaeyoung asked, hesitantly running her fingers through his scalp, biting her lip thinking Jungkook was making a really bad decision.

The boy clicked his tongue, flickering his eyebrows while staring back at her reflection on the mirror in front of them. 

"Are you really sure you dyed your own hair?" Jungkook retorted, slightly suspicious of the girl's skill. "'Cause if not then-"

"Shut up and pick the color, dumbass," she rolled her eyes, ruffling his hair before pointing at the boxes splayed on the table.

He raised his hands in the air defensively, "Alright, alright! Here," he took out one box and threw it at her, she winced. "Shit, what the-"

"Do what you gotta do," he said, crossing his arms over his chest and shut his eyes. She blinked slowly as she looked down at the box and swallowed.

"Light golden blonde?!" she muttered, giving him a look on the mirror. Chaeyoung shook his shoulder, demanding an explanation why he suddenly wanted to go blonde.

"Hey, you're not kidding me right? This-your hair's darker, we gotta bleach this and it could-"

"Just do it, please. We're leaving at dawn," he simply stated, eyes remained closed.

Chaeyoung shrugged, not daring to put up a fight against the boy as she started peeling off the plastic from the hair dye box. She began to wonder what brought Jungkook to this state he's in.

She knew about him failing to improve his dancing after months of practicing, and the frustration ended up to his decision to quit being a trainee altogether.

But still, something didn't make sense. It's the sudden want of the boy to run away, leave his parents behind and bringing her with him. It's such a terrible timing for both of them, and Chaeyoung wished she could tell their two other friends so they could come yet she felt as if Jungkook had his reason why he only wanted her to go with his plan and no one else.

They're leaving at dawn, choosing her motorcycle instead of the bus to literally nowhere, and him assuring her he had more than enough money to survive a couple weeks. It was crazy, she was scared his parents would kill her before him when they come back.

And what scared her even more was that there's this little chance he might not want to come back anymore. What about his dreams? What about Jeongyeon and Taehyung? 

They've just started planning out the entire year, the summer getaways, the after-school trip up the mountain down to the lake to spend time with Jimin. Everything was falling in place and now she's about to pack her stuff and leave the hell out.

Is it needed? Does she need to leave with him? It was something she wanted before, when her parents were in the process of separation until the divorce, she thought of running away with Yuri but then she couldn't trust him fully. So eventually, she quit the thought, and when Yuri became her reason to leave and not come back, Chaeyoung was so close to doing it but chose not to.