02 - the sun

✦✦✦

As a child, Jimin believed in stories he heard from other kids in his small town, like this theory that there is not just one, single sun out there in space. At first, he didn't buy what they said. Jimin was a smart one, he liked reading books. He enjoyed learning new things everyday. Though sometimes, he gets a little gullible when some stranger tells him a story. 

Perhaps it's the way it was told, or how good they were when they stare at his eyes as they tell the story. He was quick to be persuaded by such absurd, unreliable facts. 

When he met a young boy at the beach after the theater play he took part in, Jimin remembered how he said, there were nights when he wondered what if the sun just stopped shining one day?

Jimin thought of it over and over, trying to find the answer to it. What could possibly happen? What if, the moment he wakes up, there will just be darkness around him? 

It all came back to the theory that there are other suns hiding away and no astronauts have found it yet. Could there really be more? Jimin asked himself a million times.

When he became friends with the boy, whose name is Kim Taehyung; it was when he knew he could learn from him. He soon discovered his knowledge wasn't enough, that the world wasn't built the way he thought it was. He needed a friend like him to survive, at least.

Jimin was raised in a simple, loving household with his parents and a younger brother. They weren't rich, not even poor. Though there were days when they relied only on canned goods or an excessive amount of vegetables their good neighbors gave them.

His mom is a housewife, and his dad works in construction. Both he and his brother, Jihyun had to share their school materials as there were bad days at work and their father couldn't bring home any money.

But they are happy. He's great in academics, and his brother in sports. In the town they grew up, having someone in a family like that is a blessing. 

What the problem was, a scholarship for the two required money still, as they needed more books, and sports equipment to maintain their performances. It was an issue that they can't always depend on the local government to provide for that all the time.

Plus, Jimin's dad couldn't push himself even harder physically as his family had a history of illnesses he might acquire sooner or later. He had to be careful.

On days that Jimin felt helpless, as if a voice in his head was telling him to do something for his family, he thought of things like working somewhere or sell anything of his own such as books, shoes, and clothes.

Until one day he learned about earning money from art; painting, acting, dancing, singing. He was already good at those yet he lacked confidence to actually put them into good use. Desperation led him to do it anyway.