16 - hearts of gold

✦✦✦

Cold sweat trickled down his face, marks and bruises forming in different areas around his arms and neck; Jungkook gritted his teeth, his vision started to blurry as streak of gold and yellow from the sun setting, casted upon his sore body and his already bleeding lower lip sending him in overpowering pain.

He grappled the much older man to the ground, cursing at him as he struggled to push him away and pull back. Jungkook knelt right next to the man, while the small crowd gathered in a circle not daring to get any closer. 

A faint voice in the background was screaming "Call the police! Now!" but Jungkook stayed on his position, too tired and angry to even feel scared or to think about running off. 

He clenched his fists above his trembling knees, scratches with red smudges causing him to wince a little. The man grunted in pain, eyes traveling to Jungkook as he whispered, "I-I'm sorry, don't t-tell them... I-I won't d-do it again."

Jungkook gawked at him, a smug look on his face, filled with arrogance and confidence. If given the chance, he would've killed him without remorse. 

Yet just like all the other days of him getting into fights like this, he heard his voice again. 

Hey, Jungkook-ah, you need to stop hitting others in their faces. Fighting won't do much, and you're going to get hurt yourself and it's not good.

It always takes Park Jimin's voice to stop him, he knew deep down that he was right. But since he left his hometown to a place so far away with Chaeyoung, Jungkook had grown to feel responsible. 

He wanted to protect her, protect them like Jimin used to do.

Jungkook wished to be some sort of hero that his loved ones can rely on. 

There was a blaring sound of siren, and the crowd left in a rush, scrambling as the police car reached the scene.

Jungkook shut his eyes for a second before forcing himself to get up and dust off his body, leaving the man with his broken bones and bloodied face.

"Sir," he called, huffing a breath as an officer walked towards him, ready to handcuff him and an ambulance pulling over behind.

Sitting in front of an untouched homemade gimbap and a couple of snacks, Chaeyoung tapped her fingers on the table while she nibbled on her lower lip.

She roamed her eyes and to the door of the apartment she stared for a moment, wondering what was taking him so long.

"Where the hell are you, Kook?" she mutters under her breath, running a hand through her blonde hair. "I'm starving, I swear I'm gonna kill you."

Seconds turned to minutes and minutes turned to hours, Chaeyoung ended up on the couch while the food remained on the table covered in plates. 

The front door was unlocked, and Jungkook walked inside and dropped on his knees on the cold, wooden floor. He ignored the pain from the fresh wounds all over his body now wrapped in bandages, some in stitches.