Chapter Six

WARNINGS: violence and slight gore

"You had to kill me, but it killed you just the same

Cursing my name, wishing I stayed

You turned into your worst fears

And you're tossing out blame, drunk on this pain

Crossing out the good years

And you're cursing my name, wishing I stayed

Look at how my tears ricochet."

~*~*~*~

Dried leaves and small patches of snow crunched underneath your small snow boot-covered feet. You breathed heavily, spinning in a circle. You searched for any sign of your older sister; she always found the best hiding spots. You cupped your hands around your mouth to amplify your small voice, "Hunter! Hunter! Where are you?"

"You'll never find me!" her voice called. The trees muffled the sound as it bounced off the leaves, making it difficult to decipher her location. Her voice seemed to be coming from multiple places at once. Your chest tightened as you were reminded of the book you and Hunter had been reading recently. Bilbo Baggins had just made his way through the Mirkwood to save his Dwarven friends while evading giant spiders with the ring that made him invisible. The descriptions of the spiders had frightened you so badly that you begged Hunter to skip ahead.

You looked up and tried to spot her in the branches of the close-knit pine and birch trees, shielding your eyes from the early Autumn sun. Hunter was nowhere to be found. Panic began to build as you stumbled through the dense forest. The undergrowth became more difficult to navigate the further you pressed on. "Hunter!" you cried out desperately as a slender branch sliced your cheek, bringing tears to your eyes. "Hunter! Come back! I'm scared!"

The crunch of the undergrowth suddenly turned into the metallic clang of boots on metal. Your snowsuit had been replaced by your S.H.I.E.L.D. Tactical Suit and you held a gun tightly in your hands. The sounds of a struggle echoed off the metal halls. You slowed your pace as you rounded the corner. The sound of your pounding footsteps gave way to the squelch of rubber against something viscous. The sharp smell of copper flooded your nose. You looked down; large crimson pools of blood puddled on the floor. No way someone could have lost this much blood and lived. You swallowed hard as you continued to move toward the sounds of the struggle.

"She'll never find you," a distorted voice echoed down the hallway.

"Hide and watch, asshat," a woman's voice snarled.