Chapter Twenty Two

WARNINGS: Fluff on top of fluff on top of fluff...just get the fucking tissues and settle in.

A/N: Please see notes at the end of the chapter for an important announcement

"I wounded the good and I trusted the wicked

Clearing the air, I breathed in the smoke

Maybe you ran with the wolves and refused to settle down

Maybe I've stormed out of every single room in this town

Threw out our cloaks and our daggers because it's morning now

It's brighter now, now"

~*~*~*~

The Citadel. Wakanda. May 2018.

Wakanda's sunrises rivaled its sunsets...at least in your eyes. You leaned against the balcony with a colorful throw draped across your shoulders, nursing a steaming cup of peppermint tea. Almost 24 hours post-pregnancy confirmation and all of the adverse side-effects of growing a child seemed to hit you all at once.

You had to tell Bucky. You knew that. But how would you break it to him? How would he react? You had made plans to have children one day, but that was before everything that had happened over the past year. But after what happened over the last few days, if you weren't ready now, would you ever be?

The tell-tale sound of the balcony door sliding open dragged you back to the present. Soon Bucky's arms wrapped around you, pulling you flush against his warm chest.  "Good morning, doll," he rasped, his voice still thick with sleep.

"Good morning, Sarge," you replied, pressing a kiss against his metal arm wrapped around your shoulders.

He moved to stand next to you, leaning against the balcony wall. "No coffee?" he asked, gesturing to the cup of tea in your hands.

You shrugged nonchalantly. "Wasn't feeling it. Been keyed up the past 48 hours, didn't think I needed to add another stimulant."

Bucky nodded. "I figured I wouldn't be able to drag you out of bed before noon after all that's happened."

"Think you've got me confused with Nat," you said with a smile, bumping your shoulder against his. Bucky chuckled in agreement. "Nah, I just couldn't sleep," you said after a moment.

"Nightmares again?" Bucky asked.

"No," you said, shaking your head. "Just thinking."

Bucky turned to face you fully. His brow furrowed in concern. "About what, doll?"

Your eyes traced every part of his face, memorizing it. With the utterance of the words dancing on the tip of your tongue, everything would change. And that thought terrified and excited you at the same time.

"Your wheels are turning," Bucky observed. "What's goin' on?" He reached out and intertwined his vibranium fingers with your own, giving your hand a reassuring squeeze.

You sighed, turning your attention to the crown of light encircling the head of the statue of Bast at the top of Mount Bashenga.  "Do you remember that day at Clint's when you told me you weren't sure if you could even have kids?"