Chapter Eighteen

MUSIC RECOMMENDATION: Again choose anything you deem worthy for a suspenseful scene. I listen to The Falcon and The Winter Soldier scores as well as some of the Black Panther score.

"Stay afraid but do it anyway."

~*~*~*~

Birnin Zana, Wakanda. May 2018.

Late spring afternoons in Wakanda were sticky and humid, but the air felt cool inside the main throne room. Bucky and Shuri stood in front of T'Challa and the rest of the Tribal Council to give them a full report on Bucky's recovery.  

"Well done, Shuri," T'Challa said with a slight smile. The pride in his sibling's good work rolled off him in waves. "And the development of the AI?"

"Sergeant Barnes and his team have reported no issues with the beta program I have provided for them," Shuri replied. 

Bucky nodded in agreement, "It's been an invaluable asset. I can only imagine how it will be once it is fully developed." 

"Excellent," one of the Tribal Council members said. "As always, princess, your work never fails to amaze."

"Agreed," T'Challa replied, "We look forward to your next project and its, no doubt, positive impact on Wakandan society." He stood from his throne effectively adjourning the meeting. The other council members followed suit and drifted out of the chamber followed by their respective entourages. 

Bucky moved to follow Shuri out and back to her lab. She had some adjustments she wished to make to his arm. 

"Barnes," T'Challa called out. "Could you stay behind for a moment? You too, Shuri." The king excused himself and approached the pair. 

"What is it, brother?" Shuri asked with an annoyed huff. "We have some important business to attend to."

T'Challa ignored her and turned to Bucky. "You said Y/N when to New York to gather information from one of her informants, yes?"

Bucky snorted, "I'd hardly call him an informant, but yes, she has. She said she would join us later." He noted T'Challa's somber expression. "Why? What's wrong?"

T'Challa sighed, "New York has been attacked." 

Bucky's lips parted in shock. "By whom? When?"

Shuri quickly tapped a command on her Kimoyo beads. News footage appeared above her palm. The reported detailed an alien spacecraft that appeared over Greenwich Village a half hour prior. 

"What the hell?" Bucky whispered. He stared at the footage, still trying to comprehend exactly what he was witnessing. An alert pinged from his own set of Kimoyo beads. He sighed in relief knowing you were on the other end of the line. Smiling, he turned his hand over and your likeness appeared over his palm. His smile faded as he took in your appearance. Your suit had been activated. Cuts and bruises of various sizes littered your face. You appeared out of breath and looked around wildly. 

"Doll?" Bucky asked, trying to get your attention. Concern filled his voice.

"Sarge!" you said with a relieved smile. "Thank gods!"

"What's goin' on? Are you alright?"

"I honestly don't know how much time I have..." Your gaze darted around before turning back to him. 

"Are you alright?" Bucky asked again, trying to hide the desperation in his voice. Panic began to rise within his chest.  

"Listen. Call Steve and the others. They need to find Vision and Wanda as soon as possible!"