Prologue

A teaser for you :3

WARNINGS: Character Death, Violence, and Gore

~*~*~*~

The metal and concrete walls of the bunker had iced over. Clouds of breath puffed in front of your face as you soundlessly made your way down the halls. Silence permeated the facility, save for the creak and groan of contracting metal and your ragged breathing. You hoped you weren't too late. With your gun raised, you turned a corner and raced down the long hallway toward your team's last pinged location.

The hallway opened up to a large cavernous chamber. Six pods illuminated by a sickly yellow glow dominated both sides of the room. They hissed with a constant rush of escaping gas. But, that wasn't what drew your attention. The bodies of your teammates lay scattered around the Memory Suppression Machine. Your breath caught as you swallowed a scream. You didn't want to give away your position.

Scott lay crumpled on the ground nearest you. His helmet had been blown off; the right side of his face was burned. You bent down to check his nonexistent pulse. Wanda lay sprawled out on the floor. Her dark hair fanned out like a crown above her head; one arm outstretched desperate to reach something. She had multiple gunshot wounds to her chest and abdomen. Dark viscous blood pooled around her. Her sad eyes looked toward the person next to her. Sam's broken body rested a few feet away. The wings of his Exo suit had been torn clean off and the pieces were scattered all around. A gaping hole covered most of his chest, the edges of skin and flesh burnt and still smoking. You heard a faint rustle of something slide across the floor and pointed your gun in the direction of the noise. You gasped, "Dad!" You ran to him, falling harshly on your knees beside him. Your gun clattered to the floor as you placed Clint's head in your lap.

Blood trickled from his pale lips as he coughed, "Nightingale." His face twisted in a grimace and he gave a low moan.

You assessed his injuries. His leg bent at an unnatural angle. A dark slick stain spread across his back tactical suit. Multiple gunshot wounds littered his abdomen. "Shhh..." you soothed. "It's alright. I got you." You pressed your hand on the worst of his wounds in a vain attempt to stop the bleeding. He winced at the pressure. "I need you to stay with me...okay? I...I'm gonna get you out of here."

Shakily, Clint laid his hand over yours and squeezed. "I couldn't stop him..."

"I know, I know." You choked back a sob. "We need to get outta here...You're gonna-"

Clint squeezed your hand once more and shook his head, "Tell...Tell Laura...I'm sorry..."

"Nuh-uh," you shook your head violently; hot fat tears slid down your cheeks. "You're not doing that...You are not going to give up, Clint...We-"

You stopped short as Clint's hand reached up to stroke your cheek. "I love..." The light faded from his eyes as his hand fell away from your face, staining your skin with his blood.

"No, Dad, no." A stifled mournful cry tumbled from your lips as you clutched his lifeless body to your chest. Repulsor blasts and the screams of two men echoed in a room off the main chamber. You collected yourself after a moment. You pressed a gentle kiss against Clint's forehead before closing his eyes. "I'm sorry..." Gently you laid him on the ground, placing his bow across his chest; a knightly burial pose.

More screams rebounded off the metal walls into the attached silo. Metal clashed against metal. Pings of ricocheted bullets rang out. Repulsors whined as they shot multiple rounds of energy blasts. Down in the silo, near the exhaust vents, you saw him.

Bucky had a hold of Steve's shield and was using it to block the blasts from Tony's arc reactor. His other hand held a gun using it to fire upon his other three attackers not clothed in metal armor. The other Winter Soldiers.

A drop of liquid hit your cheek. Tearing your eyes from the scene in front of you, you reached up to touch your face. Your fingertips came away red. Startled, you looked up to the metal platforms that ringed the inside of the silo. You brought your hand to your mouth to stifle a scream; Steve's body laid heavily on the platform right above your head, surrounded by the two bodies of his attackers. Blood dripped from a hole in between his eyes.

A guttural scream ripped your eyes from Steve's lifeless gaze. A loud clang of metal resounded off the walls. Bucky staggered, toward you. He was alone. "Doll?" he grunted before his eyes rolled back in his head; he fell to the floor with a heavy thud.

Instantly, you were at his side with your knees under his head. "James!" you shook him. He didn't stir. "Goddammit, James, you...you can't leave me!" You began to hyperventilate. "You...promised...You promised..." You clutched his jacket as you shook with sobs.

Metal boots pounded toward you, you heard the repulsors' charging whine and the cock of guns. Metal ground against each other as Tony's helmet disengaged; the pure hatred and anger poured off of him. You stared him down. "Why, Tony?"

A metal hand encircled your upper arm with enough force to shatter bone. You tore your gaze from Tony and the Winter Soldiers that flanked him to the man you loved. Bucky's eyes were wild as he searched your face. One lone tear escaped the corner of his eye and disappeared into his dark matted hair. "Doll, I love-" The grip on your arm lessened as his hand slowly slid down to the floor. His steel-blue eyes dulled as one final gasp pushed past his lips.

And with it, your heart shattered into a million pieces. There would be no healing this time. No one to pull you back from the all-consuming darkness. Everyone who had ever loved you was gone. You looked back up to Tony and his soldiers; their eyes trained on your every move.

You took a stuttering breath. "Why, Tony?" you asked again. Your brittle voice was small.

Tony smirked. "Ah, kitten," He said condescendingly. "You take away my family, I take away yours."

You swallowed and gave a slight nod. Turning your attention once more to the love of your life. You tenderly pushed his hair out of his face, allowing your fingers to trace the curve of his jaw. The whine of repulsor blasts sounded once more as you pressed your lips to his.

~*~*~*~

Author's Notes:

Reminder: anything in italics is either a.) a flashback; b.) a dream; or c.) character thoughts.

Hope you liked the prologue!

I'm excited about this story and exploring all the different relationships.

Please leave votes or a comment if you are enjoying the story! Or share it with others who enjoy these types of fics!

Thanks for reading!

Ginger.