new job

Gally ran up to me while I was preparing and getting ready for the race.

"Y/n, are you sure you want to do this? It's dangerous out there."

Why did he care so much? What did my safety have to do with him?

"Yes, Gally. I'll be fine. I'll talk to you afterwards , okay." I nodded and made my way over to Minho.

"So what are we doing, Min Min?" I asked. Saying the first nickname that came to mind.

"What did you just call me?" He asked.

"Min Min. It's your new name. What are we doing?" I asked again calmly.

He shook his head, trying to ignore the name, "So your gonna race me, then alby. We can determine from there if you'll become a runner."

We got into our positions we were just going to be running around the glade. Easy enough. Alby stood between us, getting ready to tell us when to run.

"Go!" He shouted, throwing his arms up in the air.

I pushed off the ground, kicking some dirt up behind me. Minho was the tiniest bit in front of me but I quickly changed that by overtaking him. I kept my eyes on where we were supposed to be running to until I reached the finish line. A few seconds later and Minho was beside me. Neither of us were too tired.

"Damn, y/n, you're fast as hell." He chuckled, trying to play off his anger.

"Thanks. Sorry that you lost to a girl."

"Hey! I'm a feminist. I'm all it for equal rights. I am not sexist." Minho defended himself as I walked off to go race Alby.

"Good luck y/n." He smiled to me. Lord, he was way too nice.

"I won't need it. But good luck to you too." I smirked back. Minho was now the one stood in front of us.

"GO!" He yelled, throwing his arms up just like Alby did.

I pushed off the ground and stumbled a bit but was still in front of Alby. I kept sprinting and sprinting, not slowing down until I reached Minho again. I accidentally ran into him, not being able to slow down in time.

"How did I do Min Min?" I asked, pushing away from him.

"Stop. Calling. Me. That." He said seriously. I ignored him and asked him again how I did.
"You did really good, better than me when I first became runner." He informed me He still seemed annoyed.

Alby finally caught up.

"My god. Wow." That was all he could say while he panted with his hands on his knees.

"Soooo, am i runner?" I asked looking back and forth between the two sweaty boys. They looked at each for confirmation.

"Yes, starting from tomorrow you're a runner." Minho nodded.

"Y/N!" I looked back and saw Newt. I jogged over to him and he smiled brightly.

"You were so shucking fast. Are you going to be a runner?" He asked, wanting to know immediately.

"Yep. From tomorrow I'm a runner. Could you tell Gally to meet me in my room please?"

"Of course. Also I think he is worried about you being a runner. He doesn't want you getting hurt and all."

"Why? I don't see why it's his problem."

"Fry and I told you, he likes you." Newt said before walking away.

I stood and thought for a second. How could someone catch feelings so fast. I don't like him. Not yet anyway.

Some of the gladers congratulated me and I finally made it to my room. Gally was sat on your bed with his head in his hands.

"Hey." I said and his head shot up.

"Hi."

"What's up?"

"Y/n, have something to tell you because I can't keep it in any longer. I like you. It's okay if- "

"Gally." I stopped his ranting.

"Yes?" He stuttered.

"I'm sorry but I don't know you enough."

"That's okay. That makes sense." Gally sniffed and I could tell he wanted to cry.

"But, if we get to know each other a bit more, I'm sure I'll be able to say at some point that I like you too."

"Really?" His eyes lightened up.

"Yes, of course. You're a nice Gally but I haven't known you for long, that's all. Now I'm hungry so let's go have lunch."

"Wait, y/n. How'd it go?" He asked, talking about my race.

"Good, really good actually. I'm a runner from tomorrow." I smiled but he didn't.

"I don't want you to get hurt."

"I won't get hurt. I promise. Now let's go eat." I said pulling him out my room.