promise

Thomas was 'unconscious' and a few of the gladers shoved him and Teresa over to the maze entrance where everyone was stood.

"This is such a waste." Gally said as Thomas was dropped to the floor.

"Gally." Winston spoke up, "It doesn't feel right, man."

"Yeah," Jeff agreed, "What if Thomas is right? Maybe he can lead us home."

"We are home." Gally said. "I don't wanna have to cross any more names off that wall."

"You really think banishing us is going to solve everything?" Teresa asked.

"No. But this isn't a banishing."

"What is it then?" I said from beside Minho.

"It's an offering." He replied not even looking at me.

"What?" Teresa exclaimed as she was pulled onto a pole. "What are you- Gally, what are you doing?"

"You really think I'm gonna let Thomas back into the maze after what he's done?" Gally replied angrily. "Look around you. Look at our glade. This is the only way."

Newt looked over at Minho and I and we nodded gently. Chuck was slowly moving behind Gally with supplies.

"And when the grievers get what they came here for... everything goes back to the way it was."

"Are you listening to this? Why are you all just standing there? He's crazy." Teresa snarled. "If you stay here, the grievers are going to come back. They're gonna come back and they're gonna keep coming back until you're all dead."

"Shut up! Tie him up!" Gally instructed. "Did you hear me? I said, tie him up."

The two boys grabbed Thomas' arm and began to pull him up when he got ahold of the spear and began to fight them with it. A greater fight broke out as Newt, Minho and I took out our machete's. Gally looked at us all confused when Minho placed the glade of the knife on his shoulder. Fry cut the ropes holding Teresa to the poll as Chuck ran over.

Thomas held his spear up and Teresa and Newt stood either side of him. I stood in front, closer to Gally. Minho and Fry moved beside us.

"You're full of surprises , aren't you?" Gally spat, still no looking at me.

"You don't have to come with us, but we are leaving." Thomas said.

"Anyone else who wants to come, nows your last chance." I spoke loudly and finally Gally's eyes reached me.

"Don't listen to them. They're just trying to scare you."

"I'm not trying to scare you. You're already scared. Alright? I'm scared. But I'd rather risk my life out there than spending the rest of it in here." Thomas said, "We don't belong here. Okay? This place isn't our home. We were put here. Okay? We were trapped here. At least out there, we have a choice. We can make it out of here. I know that."

Winston and Jeff joined us along with a few other boys.

"Gall, it's over." I said softly. "Just come with us, please."

"Good luck against the grievers." His voice broke slightly. "Newt, take care of her. Promise me that you'll make sure she's safe."

"Of course, Gally. I promise." Newt took my hand and began to pull me away with everyone else into the maze.

"I love you, Gally." I whispered as a tear rolled down my cheek.

"I love you too." He mouthed and I ran off.

-

"Everybody, this way." Thomas shouted from in front.

Newt and I were at the back together. I made sure he could keep up with everyone else with his limp.

We ran through Section 1 and 2.

Then 3 and so on.

"Keep it up, guys!" I smiled at everyone. The smile wasn't 100% percent real. My brain just thought of him.

We made it through the blades that thankfully weren't moving this time. Finally, we reached the hallway where the griever hole was. Everyone stopped before we went. Our backs were against the wall.
Thomas and I both looked round to see a metal creature at the end, practically waiting for us.

"Is is a griever?" Chuck asked.

"Yeah." Thomas mumbled.

"You take this, Chuck," Minho handed him the key, "Stay behind us."

"It's okay. Just stick with me." Teresa smiled.

"Once we're through it will activate and the door will open. Alright, we stay close, we stick together, we get through this. We get out now, or we die trying."

"Ready?" I asked and took out my machete. So did everyone else.

"Alright. Let's go!" Thomas shouted and we ran out.

The grieved immediately saw us charging at it. It did the same as people shoved it with spears. It toppled over the edge, taking a boy with it. More grievers appeared and the key fell out of Chuck's pocket.

"Chuck! Watch the edge!" I shouted as he ran after it.

He caught it but he was also hanging over.

"Teresa! Go get him!" I yelled as I cut a grievers leg off. She did what I said and he frantically scrambled back. Everyone fought the grievers as Teresa and Chuck figured out how to open the door.

"There's a code! Eight numbers!" She screamed.

"Hey, Minho, Y/n! What's the sequence?" Thomas asked as we stabbed out the creature in front of us.

"What?" Minho shouted.

"The sequence! What is it?"

"Seven! One! Five! Two!" I answered. "Minho, what are the other 4?"

"Uh... six! Four-"

A griever landed on him and he held it away from his face with a spear. Jeff ran forward and got it off him. In doing so, he was taken away.

"Jeff!" Winston screamed.

"No... MINHO! Carry on the sequence!" I shouted as we backed into the hole.

"Right, yeah. Six! Four! Eight! Three! You got it?"

The walls in front of us began to close, crushing the grievers underneath. Everything fell into darkness for a few seconds until the door opened.

All of us walked out into a long hall way. The lights clicked on, highlighting the whole way. Everyone was stunned and silent as we walked down. Then we reached a door and we stopped.

EXIT

"Seriously?" Frypan looked at me and I laughed.