Getting Back To Normal

Chapter Twenty-One... Getting Back To Normal

It had been over a week since my parents and my brother were involved in a crash.

Mom had spent two days in hospital before being discharged. But she didn't go home. Instead, she sat by my dad's bedside, awaiting his assessments by the doctors. Dad had woken up two nights after the accident, as he'd been sedated for a long time. He needed all the rest he could get. Adam spent five days in hospital before they determined that he wasn't bleeding internally, that his internal stitches had held, and that he was well and truly on the road to recovery. Mom and Adam were lucky to escape with minimal injuries. Mom was now hobbling around on crutches due to her broken leg.

Dad copped the brunt of it. He had several broken ribs, severe spinal injuries, a broken elbow and collarbone, a lot of deep cuts, and he did have a hematoma that wasn't too severe, and was able to resolve itself.

Dad was lucky.

Cameron and I visited my family every day, and Adam was staying with Jenna and her fiancée until mom went home. Dad would be in hospital for a while, and in that time they would determine if he'd ever walk again. Although, they weren't hopeful, and neither was dad, actually.

"Your mom may think I'll be on my feet again," dad told me late one afternoon. "And you may be, too. But Nath thinks like all the other docs. I'll never walk again. And I know it, Rosie."

"You never know," I said, a tear escaping my eye.

"I'm not counting on it," he sighed. "And I'm okay with that. I lived, and that's all that matters."

"Mom's gonna be lost without you on your feet," I sobbed. "When you're all healed, your spine will heal."

"You're interested in becoming a doc, Rose," he said firmly. "You need to start thinking like a doctor, and stop thinking like a family member."

"Dad, I know it's what I want," I began. "But I'm about to have triplets! Who's to say I'm gonna be a doctor, when I have five kids to look after? I mean, most girls my age don't have one kid, let alone five!"

"You're special, Rosie," he told me. "You may be young, but you're in a great relationship. You're the best mom to your little girls. And you've proved that time and time again. Don't let what people say about you being young or whatever get you down. It's your life, and it's your choice. And Cameron's stood by you strongly since the day you told him you were pregnant back when you were fifteen years old. He loves you. And nothing else matters. Sure, you might have some hard times, be financially strapped one month, have the two older girls terrorise the triplets to the point of insanity, be driven mad by Cameron when he spends too much time at work, but then want him to get away from you when you're mad at him... But you're a lot more mature than anyone else your age. And for that, you are special."

Tears welled in my eyes at my dad's speech. He'd never given me a speech like that, but i felt all warm and fuzzy to know that my dad thinks of me like that. He wasn't that much of a talker, and he usually kept his opinions to himself, but I'm glad that he'd told me this. I'm glad that I now knew what his thoughts of me were.

I left him with a kiss and a teary smile as I went home. Mom would be back later, she'd gone for some appointment to get her leg cast checked.