Another Little Mouth To Feed

Chapter Ten... Our New Little Mouth To Feed

At around midnight that night, the contractions started. Then, at 2am, my waters broke. At 6am, I was well and truly ready to push!

"Where's Cam?" I pleaded, knowing he'd gone to get some food. "I need him! The baby's coming now!"

"He'll be here soon," the midwife assured me.

"Well, I want him now!" I screamed as another contraction plagued me. They were so close together now, and I was practically trying to hold my son in.

"You have to start pushing, Rose," the midwife smiled.

"Not until Cameron's here!" I snapped at her.

"Calm down," the midwife sighed. "He'll be here."

"I'm not pushing the baby out until he's here," I moaned, taking in a deep breath. "He's been waiting for his son for a while now. He has to be here!"

"Okay, I'm gonna encourage you to push on the next contraction," the midwife said, ignoring my whinging. "You ready?"

"No!" I snapped childishly.

"Rose, you have to be ready to push," she sighed.

I was arguing with the annoying midwife not just because I wanted my husband by my side, but also because she was pissing me off! I wanted her to go away, but unfortunately I wouldn't get that choice. The doctor and paediatrician were both standing outside, awaiting the midwife's words that I was ready to push.

It was still dark, and I felt angry. Becca had been born just on sunset. I was hoping to have my son around the same time.

The midwife left the room, and returned with the two doctors and a nurse.

"She's ready to push, she just refuses to," the midwife sighed, frustrated. "I can't force her to."'

"I told you I want my husband here!" I near-shouted. "Now get him here and I'll push. Okay?"

"Rose, you're endangering the baby by not pushing," the paediatrician spoke calmly. I looked at her. She was a beautiful, petite blonde who looked like a kid herself. Her smile was endearing, and she could truly pursuade anybody to do anything.

I let out a deep sigh.

"Okay," I surrendered. "I'll push..."

I waited until the next contraction, but Cameron burst in the doors at that very moment, a sandwich in his hand. He ran over to my side, kissing my cheek.

"I'm sorry to have left," he gasped, looking a bit strained. "I didn't think it would happen so quick... Becca took so long..."

"Cam!" I smiled. "Shut up and let me push!"

"Wait for the next contraction," the midwife moaned in a bored voice.

"Okay," I grinned, allowing them to position me in the appropriate position to give birth. I waited, breathing heavily until the next contraction came along, and then I pushed.

Within five minutes, the baby was here. She was here.