20. Happy Quarter Of A Century!

Chapter Twenty... Happy Quarter Of A Century!

When I was five, I couldn't wait to start school. The excitement that filled me was indescribable. When I was twelve, I wanted to be a teenager and start junior high. My mom never understood how I could enjoy school so much. Then, I turned fourteen, I was dating Cameron and I wanted to be seventeen, because that's how old he was. Then, when I was sixteen I couldn't wait to get married and give birth to my first child. Of course I never expected to be a young mom, but life is unpredictable and always changing.

Then, aged seventeen with a baby girl who was learning to walk and talk and all that, my desire was to be eighteen and finish high school. And to be away from the staring eyes of my judgmental peers. But then I turned eighteen, got pregnant again andy little baby girl was a baby no more. And all I wanted was to be twenty-one. Being a teenager of any form didn't interest me anymore.

So twenty-one came. And while most people of that age spent every weekend drunk and wild, I was the sensible girl who stayed at home to raise my five kids. And people could never understand how I could be so keen to be a mom and not drink myself stupid.

After that, I didn't want to get any older. I was an adult. I was a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, an aunty... Why did I need to get older? But that was life. You couldn't live forever!

But now I'd hit a new milestone.

Twenty-five. Young in most people's minds, but still. I felt old... My mind wasn't focused on the fact that I was still only in my twenties. All I could think about was that I was one quarter of a century of age. My sister Jenna and my brother Nathan were both past this age. But my little brother still had a few years to go.

But my parents were the older ones. They were both over fifty! And I was now officially halfway there. But on my fiftieth birthday, my little Becca would be thirty-three, almost thirty-four! And most likely a mother herself!

Luckily I was laying down in bed as these thoughts ran through my head, or else I would have probably feinted!

"Rose?" Cameron whispered in my ear. "Happy birthday honey." 

"Don't remind me," I mumbled. 

"Your parents are coming today," he said encouragingly. "And Nath. And Jen. And Adam too. Plus their other halves and their kids." 

"Em's still asleep," I groaned. "I'm not getting up just yet!" 

"Well, it's almost nine," he pointed out. "And Jen and Dane will be here at 9:30." 

"What?!" I wailed. "Why didn't you wake me like, oh I don't know... An hour ago?! Or even two hours?! Jeez Cam!" 

"Calm down, honey," Cameron giggled. "You were sleeping so soundly I didn't wanna wake you. So I got up and I cleaned the house and got the kids ready. It's only you and Emily that have to get ready now, sweetie." 

"You... You cleaned?" I breathed. 

"Yes," he grinned.  

"But... You hardly ever clean," I said, still stunned. "And on the weekends you usually like to relax, not do housework because my sister decided she'd turn up ridiculously early!"