A New Baby

Chapter Thirty-Four... A New Baby

I was over the annoying, ugly sight of cardboard boxes, plastic bubble wrap, thousands of toys I really wished would just mysteriously disappear, and clothes I would never wear again but somehow packed to take to our new house anyway.

I was going through all of Becca's old toys with Addy sitting next to me, when I found a familiar old doll... It had been a good two years since I'd seen Anna, the ratty doll that Becca once wouldn't let out of her sight. It had been stored for a while... the white dress that the doll wore had become a faded yellow colour. Addy picked up Anna as I tossed it to the floor.

"Momma," Addy mumbled as she looked at the doll.

"That's Becca's dolly, Anna," I smiled at Addy.

"Mine," Addy giggled as she stood up and walked out of the room with the doll.

I let out a small laugh and continued sorting through the toys.

Sarah had given Anna to Becca when she was six months' old. Becca had adored the doll from the day she received it. And I wasn't quite sure how she would respond to seeing her sister playing with Anna, but a shouting I heard suddenly told me my answer.

I ran into Addy's room to find Becca grasping the doll on one side, whilst Addy held onto the other side of it.

"Give my my doll, Addy!" Becca shouted.

"No! My dolly!" Addy screeched back.

"No, Anna is my doll!" Becca wailed. "Aunt Sarah gave her to me, you little brat!"

"Mommy gave it to me!" Addy screamed back.

"Well, it's not your doll, it's mine!" Becca hissed. "Mom shouldn't have given Anna to you!"

"Well, it's mine now!" Addy sneered.

Becca got annoyed and attempted to snatch the doll from Addy's hands. But Addy took a hold of Anna before running off with it. Becca started crying, and I wasn't sure what to think.

"Mom, Anna's mine," she sobbed, and I picked her up. She was getting so big now... almost five. I was an almost twenty-one year old mother of five... my oldest almost five years old.

"Honey, you should let Addy play with Anna for a while," I tried to soothe.

"But she's mine," Becca whispered tearfully.

"I know, Bec," I said encouragingly. 'But she's gonna get bored with her, and you know it! And you haven't played with Anna in a couple of years."

"Oh... she can play with her," Becca said with a sigh after a minute of thought. "I... Anna's kind of... old..."

"See?" I chuckled. "You don't need Anna like you once did."

"I know," she smiled, wiping away tears.

"Go and play with Addy downstairs," I smiled. "Daddy just took her down there."

"Okay," Becca said, and walked away.

It was going to be a long day, apparently.