24. One Little Surprise We Hadn't Planned For

Chapter Twenty-Four... One Little Surprise We Hadn't Planned For

In the months that followed after our return to Australia, a lot of things happened.

Firstly, when Cameron returned to work, and the kids returned to school, I spent my days at home with Emily. Becca showed off all of our photos and her souvenirs to her class, which excited all of the kids. Noah kissed her on the cheek, and she blushed. It was cute.

Emily and I spent ages in the house the first day. She screamed from her teething as I tried to clean up and tend to her.

Then soon enough the girls' birthdays came. We took our trip to London, but when Zane and Ethan both got sick in the first week, we returned home. Becca got to spend her ninth birthday over in London, but Addy spent her sixth birthday at my parents' house. She didn't seem to mind, though. And I was feeling sick myself, so it was probably for the best.

"Eugh," I groaned as we laid in bed the night after returning home from my parents' house. "I feel so sick!"

"Looks like Zane and Ethan gave you their illnesses," Cameron chuckled.

"This isn't funny," I sighed. "The kids all get sick, I get sick and you somehow manage to avoid getting sick. How does that work?"

"Oh, I know you're stressed," he soothed. "You still look beautiful," he added, smiling.

"I'm not stressed," I said, sitting up. "It's just... the kids get sick, we cut our trip short. And then my parents spend the entire weekend fighting in front of me, and I'm just expected to look the other way. They rarely fight!"

"It's life, babe," he said, wrapping his arms around me. "It's life."

"Yeah," I frowned. "Meanwhile, Emily's almost ten months old, and she's already taken her first steps! None of the other kids could walk that early. It's scary! My baby's growing up."

"Well, we'll just have to have another one," Cameron joked.

"Hmm..." I said thoughtfully. "No. I don't know if I want anymore..."

"You don't?" he looked confused.

"Well... I don't know. I mean, we have six. And your sister... she only just got pregnant. Well, pregnant again but still. She hasn't had her first kid yet, and you're here talking about the possibility of having a seventh!"

Cameron stood up, looking at me. He looked worried, actually.

"Rose," he whispered. "Is everything alright? You're acting... well, unlike you."

"Do you remember when I found out I was pregnant with Emily?" I asked him. "Me... sitting on the bathroom floor..."

"Yeah, yeah, I remember," he said quickly. "What's that got to do with you rambling on about how you think six kids is enough when it wasn't all that long ago that you wanted another one?"

"Sarah," I said simply.

"Sarah?" he repeated, frowning. "What does my sister have to do with this?"

"It got me thinking, when she said she'd had a miscarriage..." I sighed. "We've never had that problem. We've never lost a child. And I'm afraid."

"Afraid of what?" he asked.