One Baby, Two Baby, Three Baby... What Are They?

Chapter Twenty-Two... One Baby, Two Baby, Three Baby... What Are They?

We had been awaiting this day since we first found out we were having triplets...

It was time to find out the sex of our babies.

We had to wait until I was in week nineteen due to the doctor being totally booked out. But we were both so excited, and now Cameron and I sat in the waiting room, hand in hand, silently expressing our anxiousness. This was probably the best thing that was happening since my parents' crash, to which my mom and Adam had both almost completely recovered. Mom still had her cast on, but Adam was fine, and his scars were almost faded enough they weren't immediately noticeable.

Dad was getting there, too. But his recovery was much longer, and they were still unsure of if he'd ever walk again.

I was snapped back to reality at the call of my name. Cameron leapt to his feet excitedly, nearly pulling me with him. I stood up nervously, but I wasn't sure why I was so nervous. I was excited, but I guess until I knew that everything is alright with my three little babies.

Becca and Addy both wanted to come but we felt this was something we should do as just us. Well, Addy only screamed and said no no no as I handed her over to Cameron's brother Lance. He hadn't been home in two years, so we gave him the opportunity to look after his two nieces. Becca ran into his arms when we said who he was, because she didn't really remember him.

We walked into Dr Barraby's room, which was set up for my appointment.

"Hello, Rose and Cameron," she greeted us with a smile.

"Hi," we both answered at the same time.

"Okay, Rose, I'll get you to change into a gown so we can begin," she told me, handing me the gown. "Wow! You're getting big!"

I laughed and smiled shyly at her last statement. I looked like I was six months pregnant already, and I wasn't even five months yet. I guess that happens when you're carrying three babies instead of one.

I quickly changed into the gown, too anxious and keen to see my babies. I laid down as instructed, and sat quietly as the doctor placed ice cold gel on my stomach. Cameron held my hand tightly, which made me think he was nervous. I watched on the screen as my little babies appeared, hearts beating through my ears beautifully.

"Wow, I love that sound," I whispered to Cameron as Dr Barraby checked, making sure there were no abnormalities.

"Okay, all three babies are perfect," she announced. "Now, are you still interested in finding out the sex, or would you like it to be a surprise?"

"Oh, we have to know," I answered quickly.

"Yeah, I'm keen to know," Cameron answered as well with a big smile my way.

"Okay," she smiled, looking again.

Dr Barraby held her hand out to the screen, pointing to one of the babies.

"Okay, this is Baby A," she said with a bright smile. "Baby A is a boy. And this little one next to him is Baby B, and Baby B is also a boy."

"Two boys," I smiled gleefully.

"Wow," Cameron gasped.

"The boys are most likely going to be identical," she said confidently. "Because they're from the same egg."

"What about the other baby?" I asked, excited.

"Alright, Baby C is hiding its identity from me," she said, frowning a little. "It's got it's legs crossed, and I can't tell what it is."

"Oh, that sucks," Cameron sighed.

"Yeah, but it's perfectly common," Dr Barraby told us. "Usually, most people take it as a sign that they're not meant to find out. But perhaps later on, you'll find out what it is."

"What are most babies that cross their legs?" I asked.

"Well, they tend to be either," she answered. "But I have to say, it's more common that the girls cross their legs."

"So it could be a girl?" I smiled.

"Yes, it could be," she smiled back at me.

Cameron and I were both stoked that at least two of our triplets were boys. I could only hope that the same thing wouldn't happen like it did with Addy, and they turn out to be girls. Of course, I'd love them the same, there's no doubt about it. But I've always wanted a boy. And Becca kept asking for her brother. She was smart, that's for sure!

>>>>

Cameron and I decided to both think of a list of boys' names, and then keep them to ourselves and present them to each other when the triplets are actually born. I'm not totally sure why we decided this, but it gave us about twenty weeks, though most likely a lot less than that, to think of some really good names. We'd probably still discuss them, but yeah, there would be no definite decisions made until they had arrived.

We started telling everyone that we were having two boys, and they would always ask what the third one, known to the doctor as Baby C, was. Explaining that we didn't know was amusing, because people tended to have their own versions of if it was hiding a thing, or it was being ladylike, or as my mom said... "Maybe it's a bit of both..."

Bit of a stupid statement on my mom's part, because there are actually babies that are born like that all around the world, and it would be so hard.

I pushed that thought out of my mind as I told mom that it was an idiotic statement. Mom just rolled her eyes, claiming she was joking. But the joke wasn't funny...

>>>>

"The babies are kicking," I said, sitting up in the dark through the night. I felt the first definitive kicks from two of the babies, whilst the third rolled over. They moved a lot, and their movements were getting stronger and more frequent.

"Huh?" Cameron groaned through the night. I took his hand and placed it on the spot where one of the babies kicked.

"Aww, wow," he smiled.

"Get up," I said, getting out of bed and turning on the light. Cameron hid under the doona.

"Jeez, Rose, you always do that to me!" he moaned.

"Wakey, wakey," I taunted.

"Oh, can't you let me sleep?" he groaned. I pulled the doona off of him.

"Nope, I want some cookies and milk," I announced.

"It's 3am," Cameron sighed.

"And I have cravings," I retorted.

I walked off into the kitchen, pulling out some Oreos and ice cold milk. I downed them pretty quickly, then sat at the table in the dining room.

I must have fallen asleep, because I awoke on the couch, with a blanket over me, and the sun shone through the window.

I stood up smiling, ready for the brand new day.