Aftermath

Chapter Twenty-Nine... Aftermath

"You're about three centimetres dilated."

 Apparently the earthquake had triggered my labour. And I was worried for Addy. She'd been taken for tests half an hour ago, and I hadn't heard anything. It had me worried. Was my little girl alright?

"I can't go into labour now!" I groaned at the doctor.

"Well, the triplets aren't waiting much longer," she chuckled.

"My daughter's hurt," I sighed. "I have to know how she is! Where's my husband?"

"Your husband took your other daughter to get something to eat," the doctor explained. "But I will find out what's going on with your baby. What's her name?"

"Addison Baker," I replied.

"I'll be back shortly," she smiled.

"Are we gonna get another aftershock?" I asked suddenly.

"I hope not," she replied sadly. "We haven't had any deaths yet. But it's only a matter of time before one comes through the ER doors. It was a pretty strong earthquake. Probably a 5 or something like that on the richter scale."

"Too big," I sighed.

"Any earthquake is too big," she said quietly.

"Cam tried to warn me we were due for one," I said absent-mindedly. "I should have listened..."

"You couldn't have known," the doctor replied. "This is mother nature at one of her worst."

She left the room at that moment, and I sat silently, glaring out into the hallway. I hoped that Cameron would come soon, because I was getting anxious. But the doctor that took Addy came into the room...

"Hello, Mrs Baker," Dr Harris smiled.

"Call me Rose," I said quietly. "How is Addy?"

"Addison's gonna be fine," he answered. "She has a skull fracture, and she'll have to remain in hospital until it heals to monitor it. She also has a broken arm, but being young it will heal quickly. Luckily, she has no internal bleeding, or any bleeding on the brain. She has some cuts and bruises, but once the skull fracture heals, she's gonna be fine."

"Oh, thank God," I gasped.

"We're going to transfer her to a hospital in Seattle, though," he added. "We don't want her to be here if there are any aftershocks."

"But she can't go there alone," I cried. "I'll go too."

"You're in labour, we can't move you just yet," he answered. "I'm sorry."

"Where's my husband?" I asked.

"He's outside," the nurse standing in the corner replied.

"Bring him in, please," I said softly.

In a minute or so, Cameron came in with Becca in tow. Becca was sucking on a juice box.

"Cam, you have to go with Addy to Seattle," I told him.

"Addy's going to Seattle?" Cameron asked.

"In case there are aftershocks," I replied.

"And their facilities are better equipped for an infant with a head injury," Dr Harris added.