28. Love Thy Family

Chapter Twenty-Eight... Love Thy Family

My mom's two week visit was amazing. She looked after Emily while I did the bedrooms, because Cameron was at work. She'd pick the other kids up, drop them off. Spend possibly as much time with them as she could. She put them to bed, read to them, cooked for them.

She even took them shopping! Not that they needed spoiling.

So when it came time for her to return home, I was sad. She'd decided during her visit that she would sell the house I grew up in, and move away. None of us lived in the town anymore, with Adam and Camille moving away recently.

"I'm gonna miss you, mom," I said tearfully. "Promise you'll come back when the twins are born, yeah?"

"The girls will have their nana there when they're born," mom grinned, kissing my cheek.

"What?" I frowned. "Mom, I don't know that they're girls... or boys... or one of each. Why did you say that?"

"Just a hunch," she chuckled. "I have a feeling that they are girls, is all. And well, you have four daughters, I'm going with the odds."

"I also have two sons, mom," I said simply.

"Yes, but still," she laughed. "Rose, take care of those babies, and I'll be back here the minute you go into labour."

"Thanks," I smiled.

Mom said goodbye to all of the kids and left. We waved her off before I walked back inside with the six of them, and Cameron, too. Emily ran across the living room, racing Becca. Those two were so close... Addy and Lily pulled their barbie dolls out, and Ethan and Zane started wrestling. I sunk into a chair at the table, feeling exhausted.

"What's up, Rose?" Cameron asked, coming up behind me.

"I wish my mom didn't have to go," I admitted. "I mean, I know I'm an adult and all now. It's still hard, though. And they're moving! Wow! Everything's changing."

"That's life, honey," he chuckled. "It sucks half the time. But when the twins are born, then you'll have something new to smile about."

"Well, they already make me smile," I grinned. "They're always kicking, and rolling. When they can, of course. It must be cramped in there, because it's not exactly a large space."

"Maybe," he kissed my cheek. "But... think of it this way. You got their room finished in case they decide to make an early arrival like Emmy did."

"Yeah, but Emily wasn't meant to be," I frowned. "If it wasn't for that car..."

"If you always play on what might of been, babe, you'll go insane. Think of the love that they can give. Whether your mom's right, and they're both girls. Or she's totally wrong, and they're both boys, we're gonna love them. And they will love the room, too. And us."

"Huh?" I frowned. "You're just rambling now."

"I know, but you love me anyway," he chuckled.

"Yeah, of course. So umm... what are you making for dinner?"

"Me? I thought you'd be keen to cook again, since your mom cooked almost every night."

"No, I enjoyed not having to cook. You realise that there's only eleven weeks left until the twins are due, don't you? And they could come any day from week 38! Or earlier, maybe. Though I hope not... I don't want them to be in hospital for ages, you know."