Part 2: Work

Italics are flashbacks

The first step into the building of the British Vogue is breathtaking. Everything looks just like you imagined it the whole time. A long hallway with white walls and a marble floor is leading you into the iconic magazine office. Old covers are hanging all over the walls, clothes and photo shooting plans let this place seem busy but magical. You've always been interested in journalism the world of celebrities. This is it. You are a part of all of that. Maybe as an intern, but this will give you not only work experience but also good connections. This place even smells heavenly. You had only spent a few minutes in this building but you've already passed people with clothes racks, cameras, folders, and more. Every office had glass doors, which made it possible for you to see the people working together as a team to plan new shootings and articles.

Mrs. Wilson was talking for most of the time but, to be completely honest, after a while it just sounded like you were underwater. Your body was completely taken over by all of the stuff that was happening in your surroundings. You didn't know whether you should look to your left or your right since there was stuff happening, everywhere!
„Should we book Megan or Georgina for the photoshoot? We still need a celebrity for the cover! Do you like the dress by Dior or Chanel more? What do you think about an article about..", you overheard a conversation, which made you smile. For many people, this would seem hectic and stressful but you always wanted to work behind the scenes. You didn't want to be the model in the magazine, the one on the red carpet - you wanted to be the one that talks to and writes about them.

„You're so weird, y/n", your friend said, while she was trying to properly walk in her mother's black high heels. They were way too big since she was only 7 years old, which made her trip over a few times. The many bracelets she wore were making a lot of noises when they clashed together, while she was pushing her sunglasses on the top of her head.
„Why do you think that?", you asked confused, lowering your arms with the camera in your right and the sheet of paper in your left hand.
„Because you're just doing the boring stuff over there. We're playing models! Don't you want to be one for once? I mean I am probably the better celebrity anyway but don't you get bored just asking me questions?", she tilted her head, pointing at your sheet of paper. „Every girl wants to be famous but you're just hiding behind the questions you wrote down."
„But I like asking you stuff more..", you felt weirdly sad after what your friend said. For a seven-year-old, you took every word she said very personally. Are you weird? Before she said anything you felt super confident in your role. Your mother was watching a live-Stream of the Met Gala the other day and you saw many people talking to the celebrities with a microphone in their hand. You thought it was fun and interesting.
„My mom always says, I'll only be successful in life when I make it in front of a camera. I think that counts for you too, y/n."
Now you lowered your head in addition to your arms, questioning your choice of being the interviewer. But if this is what you love doing, it must be the right thing then, right? Because your mother always told you to do what you love.

You loved this place. Not only what it looked like, but what the people are like. Mrs. Wilson was obviously extremely nice but so was every other co-worker that walked by and gave you a big smile.
„And then, if you turn this way, you're in the editorial office - your workplace. The rest of the staff will be here soon too."
Mrs. Wilson walks a few steps and points to a desk to her right. It had a Mac on it, a little desk lamp, and a black Notebook. It was standing right next to a big window, which made you very happy. Not only were you able to enjoy the beautiful view over London but also the sunlight that warmed the place even more.
„Your workspace.", she smiled at you and watched you checking out the surroundings, as well as your little place.
„Thank you so much. I'm so excited to work here.", you basically had bees in your but at this point. The adrenaline and wish to just swim in work and experiences was tickling you from the bottom of your feet all the way up to your head.
„Your today's task is already very big and important. You don't start small at Vogue - there's a lot to do. There's this actor, Vivian made that suggestion, we want to interview. To be honest, it's a young actor and I'm not the youngest anymore, so I already forgot who she was talking about. I'll introduce you to Vivian and she will fill you in with all of the information.", she explained and you nodded, as you put your coat on the backrest of your chair and your bag on the desk. Mrs. Wilson started walking and you quickly followed her. There is really no time to be wasted here.
„Usually, Vivian is placed at the desk right next to you but since she wasn't there just now, I believe she's printing something in the room next door.", a very short hallway and a turn to your left later you found yourself in the printing room.
„Vivian, Love! This is y/n, your new co-worker... Well, Intern. But I think that'll change pretty fast.", she turned around to wink towards you and blushed because of the big compliment.
„Hey, I'm y/n", you put up your hand, going in for a handshake, which she happily returned.
„Vivian, very nice to meet you!" Vivians hazel-colored eyes sparkled, which matched her light brown hair as well.
„So, I heard my first big job is your idea?", you asked.
„Yes! I am so excited to tell you. I'd actually love to do it by myself but my To-Do list is long enough!", she chuckled and waved to make you follow her back to your both desks.

She sat down and excitedly clapped on the wooden desk. You were happy, she was your co-worker and contact person here. She was only a few years older than you and seemed like a lot of fun.
„Let me tell you what I thought of. It's gonna be a YouTube-Video and we thought since you're 21, you'd maybe enjoy the whole social media thing more, than sitting in the office the whole time for your first experience in the industry."
„I'd be very happy about doing that! But may I ask, which actor it is and what exactly I gotta do?", you ask out of curiosity and excitement.
„Tom Holland. Do you know him? Not personally, I mean like in general."
„Who doesn't know Spider-man, right?", you smiled. You've seen the Marvel movies too many times.
„He's so cute, isn't he? You gotta be creative with this one - we don't want another typical interview that everyone can upload. Think of something new and fun. We need the audience to be excited about this video. Don't just ask questions. I'd recommend thinking about something new for an interview. Like doing something. A challenge, games, going out... something along the lines. Think about ideas and show them to me as soon as you have them ready. When we agree on something, I'll give you the phone number of his manager. Alright?", she explained. That was a lot of information, but nothing you couldn't do.

***

You were researching about Tom Holland for a while now, looking for previous interviews he had done to make sure your idea will be kind of unique. Not extremely happy but pretty fine and confident with your final idea you turn your head to Vivian. She was currently wearing headphones, so you poked her in her arm and waved with the sheet of paper. She quickly pulled out her in-ears and an exciting look formed on her face.
„Oh, y/n, you got an idea?"
„Yes, I guess so. The questions are definitely ready. I did some research on new projects coming up, as well as some personal questions. Nothing too personal, though. He seems to be a person that likes to keep his privacy, which I think we shouldn't push. That would just make us another annoying interviewer, right? So, I printed them out for you, so you can take a look."
You hand a sheet of paper over to Vivian and she quickly reads over them.
„Looks pretty good! Well done, y/n. So what about the set-up?"
„I have an idea for something we could do outside. I think as you said, anything we'd do in front of a white wall in a studio is gonna be kind of basic. There's this artist where I live. He does courses in painting in his garden - so it would be very discreet. No paparazzi or fans interrupting the making of the video. It's very beautiful there as well. I'm not a good artist and I don't think Tom Holland is either, so that would be kind of fun to do, I believe. From what I saw on the internet, I think you can have a lot of fun with him, you know? We shouldn't do something serious for a fun interview. And I imagine talking while painting, when the weather is awesome will be pretty chill.", you explained, while nervously waiting for a reaction of Vivian.
The pause she took made you feel anxious. You really wanted her to approve our idea.

„No, I like it. It's different, and that painting part is interesting. But I think we shall give it a shot."
Extreme relief runs through your body. Congratulations on not fucking up on the first day at Vogue.
„Here's the number of Tom Hollands Manager", Vivian said with a promising smile on her face.
You look at the little pink post-it. Dang, Vivian. She didn't even write a name on there. Let's hope he or she will answer the phone and tell you their name.
„Be careful with your contacts. It's an honor to have connections to celebrities. Do you remember your black notebook? We all got one on the first day, it is there for you to collect all of your connections in one place. I'd recommend putting the number in there, so you don't lose it. When you call you should ask them if Tom Holland could come on a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. That's when we have the camera team available for interviews."
„Thanks a lot", you answer. Vivian put her headphones in, which was pretty good for you. You hated it when people listened to you making a phone call. So you started dialing the number. After a few rings, your stomach dropped. Someone actually picked up.

„Hello, Harrison Osterfield.", Thank God, he said his name!
„Hello, Mr. Osterfield. This is y/n y/l/n from British Vogue.", you started and you began explaining the concept of the interview, hoping everything would work out.