Part 9: Can we talk?

Italics are flashbacks

You were currently in Tom's apartment and you and Tom made yourself comfortable on the couch in the living room. Since the both of you exchanged your first 'I love you's, it has been going more than great. Your internship is still as exciting as it was in the beginning and Tom finished filming his latest movie, allowing him to spend a lot more time in London for now. His family adores you and whenever you can you're spending time together. Your relationship is currently in the - what you could call - 'honeymoon phase'. The both of you are all over each other, adoring the company.

"Let me go, Holland!", you tried to escape Tom's grip but he pinned you down on the bed, literally using his whole body weight to keep you in there. "Not possible, it's a Saturday.", he said struggling to keep the moving body beneath him in place. "Yes, a Saturday that I have to work on. Now let me go!", you were already out of breath after trying to fight against Tom's strength. After about another minute you gave up and relaxed all of your muscles. When Tom looked at you, you said with pleading eyes: "I'll be late. Please?" and he gave you a peck on the lips. "Fine." He finally got off you and you were able to get ready and leave for work - but not without screaming "I love you" before closing the door of his home.

Right now, the patio door was wide open and the sunlight was filling the room, along with the warm air. Everything you were able to hear was the birds outside and sporadically a couple of cars in the distance. Tom was lying with his head on your lap watching something on his phone, while you read a collection of William Shakespeare's sonnets and played with his hair. There is no denying that your relationship was developing fast. It's been a few months and you're acting like it has been years - but it felt right. There has never been a man in your life that adored you the way he did and there has never been a man in your life you adored this way. And even though you fought with insecurities and doubts from time to time, Tom was always there to turn them down. There was not a single person on this planet that believed more in your relationship lasting forever than him.

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate", you started reading out loud and Tom turned his head to look at you.
"Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance, or nature's changing course, untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st;
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.", you finished.

"I like that.", you said, smiling at the poem. When you looked down at Tom, you expected him to smile as well. He usually enjoyed you reading out passages you liked but right now he was looking rather serious.

"What? You didn't like it? I thought it was beautiful.", you said. "No, it is. It is beautiful.", he looked away and paused for a second until he sat up and begin to speak again. "Can we talk, y/n?", he asked. "Sure. We can always talk, Tom. What's wrong?" This didn't feel right. You slowly closed the book and put it on the table in front of you. Worry starts to form in your head. You haven't seen Tom so serious in a while.

"Listen, this is extremely hard for me and I don't know how to explain it but I think I want to stop this.", he said while fiddling with his hands. He was so nervous and felt extremely sad, so he wasn't able to meet your eyes. "You're breaking up with me?"

"y/n, that is the last thing I want to do. I love you, with my whole heart, and when I tell you that I've never felt this way before I mean it. I don't want to lose you, like ever.", he said and took your hands in his.

"Don't then. Don't do this, please. I love you, Tom. And I thought everything was going great. Why are you saying these things right now?", you asked. "My agent called. It's time to go on the press tour for cherry for about two months, less or even more. You're about to graduate, find a job and a new place to stay.. and you have to take your driver's test.", the both of you smiled when he said that and he put his hand under your chin to make you look at him. "I love what we have but I want this to last forever and right now, I feel like.. like..", he was searching for the right words and you completely understood what he was trying to explain to you. "Like we're living in a bubble?", you tried to describe your situation. "Because if yes, I feel the same way, Tom. When you were away we called each other and texted a lot. After that, we were spending almost every day together because I 'only' have to manage my internship and you didn't have to work as much. Our.. relationship never had to go through something as big as it will have to in the future when we have to deal with all of that 'real-life stuff'.", you said.

"Exactly. And as much as I love you..", he began and you continued his sentence: "We're in too early stages in our relationship to expect this to work right away?", you looked at him to wait for an answer and he nodded. He looked scared and you didn't want him to feel bad for his feelings. "Tom, you know I love you. And I think we're old enough to handle this the right way. I understand your feelings and to be honest, I sort of feel the same way. And as much as I hate only thinking about it, if you feel like the right thing is to break up-", "No, no, y/n. That's not- Can we just put it on pause or something? I know that as an actor this will happen a lot more in the future and my plan is definitely not to stop this every single time, I promise.", he made you chuckle and then continued explaining his plan. "I just figured that we could use this time to have everything figured out. And when I'm coming back we'll be able to continue our relationship for real - with all of the things we gotta deal with. We will learn to deal with it. I just don't want this to end while I am away because we're putting our little 'honeymoon phase', we have right now, through this."

"So.. you're leaving in less than a week. What are we doing on this 'pause'?"

"Let's just keep it on the low for a while. We don't act like a couple but we also don't act like we broke up, right? I'll let you know that I'm still alive and you gonna tell me if you're okay. Let's just keep it with that and not make it harder for us by texting and calling and stuff like that."

"Yeah, I'm cool with that. I love you, Tom. Promise me, you'll get back to me?"

"Instantly after the premiere here in London is done. I promise. I love you."