5 Damage done

She looked up at him completely flabbergasted. Did he want her to say it?
"Did we do... that?" She tried to get the words out. He came closer and she backed up against the headboard.
"You spent the entire night in my room with me. What do you think happened?" He asked as he sat at the edge of the bed. The elderly maid that had been there when Olivia woke up looked disapprovingly at the king. Olivia suddenly looked sullen and devastated. She did not see his reaction because she was looking down, but King Adarian frowned when she looked that way.
He didn't expect that reaction from someone who had drugged him in order to seduce him. He sighed, "I never touched you."

"But... these are your quarters?" she asked to confirm. She looked up at him unsure. "We're innocent?"

"If we had done anything at all you would definitely remember it," he said confidently. You had a high fever, and I needed to ask you some questions. I had to be here when your fever broke, and we were surrounded by Doctors and maids the entire night. Leaving aside that I won't touch a sick person, I wouldn't touch a woman in front of others eyes to see."

Olivia's countenance visibly improved. Though she didn't notice, the king furrowed his brows a bit. Olivia Heaved a sigh of relief, and the elderly maid also relaxed her face.

"Don't look at me like that Nan-Nan," The King said to the maid.

"Then be proper to the lady," The elderly maid scolded the king. "This is a castle. It's not like you lack rooms to place her in. I told you to place her in a different room. She's unmarried and unaccompanied. The only reason we will be able to dispel any rumors is because the two of you were never left alone for a moment."

Olivia suddenly looked hopeful. Her face lit up. 'My reputation doesn't have to be ruined!? This is great!' Olivia Carter was paying attention to everything though. She was able to watch the king out of the corner of her eye.

"Who said we weren't alone for a moment?" King Adarian asked. "If I say she spent the entire night in my bed chambers' but didn't touch her, what will happen to my reputation?"

Olivia paled, and the elderly maids face darkened. "Your little highness..." the maid began but stopped. She had wanted to help Olivia save her reputation, but now... there was nothing she could do. The damage to Olivia Praxis's reputation was already done. Even if she was a virgin, if the king said she was not, then she was not.

Olivia Carter remembered a line from the novel. The king who was upset that Olivia had drugged and seduced him had said this line to her after Olivia kept trying to place the blame on the innocent Graciella. He didn't believe her because the waiters had confessed that he was bribed to drug Lady Lowenheim by Olivia. He confessed that the king was not supposed to be the one who was drugged. Olivia still had the audacity to lie to him in spite of the evidence and eyewitness accounts, this had upset the king. Olivia Carter said the line the king told Olivia Praxis out loud in her head.

"Now I can't wear a white wedding dress,'' she said it out loud! She wanted to say more, to explain that this was still just a dream, and she would wake soon. But her mouth wouldn't move!

The King looked at her in shock. He had not expected her to say that! But his plan was already in motion. There was no way to stop it now. When the maids went off duty in the early morning, they were to go and spread it around that Olivia and the King both spent the night in the king's bed chambers. He didn't have time to feel bad about this decision now. If she didn't like it then she shouldn't have tried to drug people. What's more she shouldn't have taken recreational drugs.

"That's not my problem," he said to her. "Do you regret it?"

Olivia looked at him confused. 'Regret? What does he want me to regret?'