21 Didn't he have an accountant?

Adarian looked over at her inquisitively, and came up with an answer on his own. "You're bored."

"You think?" Olivia sassed back.

"If you're so bored you can study," he replied back. He was getting used to unexpected things coming out of this strange woman's mouth. She was an alien from a different planet, at least according to herself. How did she know this was a different planet? She said she read about this world in a novel. Was it not a history book? Was there a way to be sure? He really needed time to sit and talk with his new wife.

"What can I study?" she asked him wanting anything to do but just sit.

"Well," he started off. "If you are done studying me..." he smiled. Then he handed her one of the books he had been writing in for a while. "How's your math?"

'Math? I hate math! Too many formulas!' "It's fine," She said smiling as she took the book. This was entirely her own fault. She's the one who wanted something to do. She took a deep breath as she looked it over. It appeared to be an accounting book. Was it necessary for the king to do his own accounting? Did he not have an accountant on staff?

"Can I have a scrap paper and a pen?" she asked absentmindedly as she started to go over the calculations. He handed her some papers, and a quill and ink. She sneered at the quill and ink. She had completely forgotten once again that she was not in the modern world. She remembered there were no calculators, so she asked for a scrap paper. But she forgot pens were a different thing altogether. Then she had an idea. She remembered seeing the ads for the glass quills. Those looked so much easier to write with than this metal monstrosity used only in calligraphy classes. She always wanted on, so she asked, "Do you have a glass pen?"

He looked at the glass on the desk next to himself. Then the one next to her. She almost laughed because the words [Does not compute] were written all over his expression. "I guess not," she said, a little embarrassed again.

"Can you draw it for me?" Adarian asked. "And I will have them make it for you." Good there was a present he could give her. Even if it was a glass pen. He couldn't for the life of himself think of how that would look. It took a little practice, but Olivia was able to draw the pen. Then she said, "I'm sure if there's an experienced glass blower, they would be able to make it." She looked at Adarian with trepidation. What would he even think of her crazy Idea. Even if it wasn't her idea.

He leaned over and whispered to her. "Was this a thing from your world?"

She looked at him and nodded. Then she looked in the direction of the attendant who still had not left yet and whispered, "I'm going to lie out loud now."

"There was a traveling merchant who ...I had bought one from before. It wrote very smoothly, but I accidentally broke it. I thought... that if there was another one in the country, it was probably here in the castle." She lied very well, and smiled at him.

He smiled at her, "It's an interesting concept. It's too bad yours' has been broken."

"Yes," she replied.

Her stomach grumbled. She blushed and held her belly right away. "Ah!" Adarian said as he looked at her. "We forgot breakfast." He stood from his seat and offered her his hand. "My wife..."

She looked bashful as she took his hand. Was it seriously time to hold hands again? It wasn't like she was going to run off now. She had an empty belly and the promise of food on it's way. But she held his hand all the way to the dining room again.

The attendant thought to himself that the rumors surrounding the soon to be queen, and her actions so far today were very different from each other. Perhaps she was just acting like a good person in front of his majesty.

...

...

The king, and his consort ate a hearty brunch together in the same place they ate last time. Olivia still didn't know that he sat her in the space that was solely for the queen to sit in. He was the one who sat her there though, so no one else could have any other opinion. The king had chosen her for his queen. She was as good as married to him already. They were already sharing a room too. This was also unusual. Normally the queen had her own set of apartments in the palace. And when the king wanted to bed her, he would call her to his room.

His majesty was definitely not following decorum with this bride.

The rumors must be true. He really wanted to marry her, so he caused a scandal to do so. Now he loved her so much he could not bear to separate from her. He even took her to his office today. Wherever the couple walked he held her hand. This was truly a love for the ages. Many a kitchen servant was thinking that they did not know his majesty could be so romantic.

...

...

"We won't be skipping any meals in the future," he notified the head of the kitchen staff. "Please prepare a light lunch and good sized dinner, and if we are not in the dining room at serving time, then bring the meal to wherever we happen to be." Then he added as and after thought, "The same applies for breakfast. ...Everyday." The kitchen staff was happy. In the past they had worried over his health. He would often skip meals, and sometimes forget to eat for the entire day if he was busy enough. Now that he had a wife he loved, it seemed he couldn't bear to have her skip meals with him.

Even if the rumors surrounding Lady Olivia were bad; it seemed she was not such a bad influence on his majesty in their eyes.

...

...

After their brunch Adarian accompanied Olivia for a walk in the garden. Hand in hand they walked together. Olivia hadn't noticed how naturally her hand had found his. Adarian was pleased because this was the first time she initiated it. He was in a good mood.

The garden was to be arranged by the queen. This garden had not been changed since his mother had taken over it. Not even his previous wife had been married to him long enough to change anything. He looked around. The garden would be a good project for Olivia. She could change it to her liking.

"You should also start getting an idea of how you want the garden to look," He said as they walked.

"Pardon?" Olivia had been lost in thought. She was thinking of all the paperwork that Adarian had been looking at and reviewing, and signing off on and denying, plus doing the accounting? Wasn't it too much? He kept getting interrupted too. Everyone had a "problem" they needed his advice and help for. Couldn't they think for themselves? This was too bothersome. If she was going to marry this man, wouldn't he pass out from Over working and exhaustion before they could say I DO or whatever they said in wedding ceremonies here. She really couldn't remember the vows from the novel. But they were not the basic sickness and health she always saw in movies.

She was thinking of this when she suddenly thought of a manhua she once read where a girl was reborn into a new world and she created forms for her father, making his work easier.

She was thinking about this, and whether this would benefit Adarian in his work. Then it would be easier to file away too. She didn't even want to think about what kind of Filing system they had. If they even had one.

She had only subconsciously heard him say something to her about the garden, but had no Idea what it was. So she had to tell him. "I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention."

Adarian sighed, "What should I do to make my wife pay attention to me?" he said aloud. Others who were nearby could hear him. They thought to themselves, that the king and Olivia weren't legally married yet, why did he call her his wife?

With his free hand, Adarian caught Olivia's hair that had come loose, and tucked it behind her ear. His hand traced her jawline and then he lifted her chin. "Hmm?" he asked. "Tell me what I have to do."

Olivia looked into his eyes, and asked "Do you not have an accountant?"