16 She Was Exposed

"We can't be engaged!" Olivia exclaimed. "I'm going to the convent!"

"You want to be punished for something you didn't do that badly?" He asked annoyed that she would rather go to the southern convent than to marry him.

"Punished?" She asked, confused. "Do I look stupid to you? Why would I want to be punished? I'm just joining a convent."

He looked at her stunned. Did she not know what kind of place that was?

Of course she didn't. As bad of a life as she had led, she was still a sheltered young lady. She wouldn't know a thing about what happened in the world outside of her mansion, Balls, and tea parties.

He was very upset with the Marquis at this moment. When she had made such a decision and told him about it, did he not think to protect her at all? Or at least inform her? Let her know what she was walking into. Once the convent had her in its clutches she was never getting out again until they broke her and made her one of them! What's more the marquis wasn't aware of the fact that he and Olivia hadn't been together intimately. So for all the Marquis knew, Olivia could be pregnant! Was the Marquis trying to kill his child!?

Adarian sighed. "You were just going to go there without knowing anything?" He asked her. He knew she wanted to escape her home, but escaping to a place like that was worse than just staying with the Marquis for the rest of her life. At least with the Marquis basic human necessities would be met.

Olivia cocked her head, "What do you mean?" It was just a convent with nuns right?

"Do you not even know which god they serve at the Southern Convent?" He asked her, trying not to get angry at her ignorance.

Olivia was stunned. She had taken for granted she wasn't on earth anymore. She was familiar with the gods worshiped on Earth. The novel didn't really mention religion. How had the Novel missed so much? The only god she remembered being mentioned was the god of Love, during Graciella's wedding in the novel, they had to say their vows to the God of love. She had heard the maids talking about the god of contracts, or something like that. The Officiator's worshiped that god, and considered the building they worked in a church. There were more gods? She shook her head, indicating that she didn't know.

"They worship Ultor, the god of punishment." He said. Olivia reacted with more confusion, she bit her lip seeming anxious for not knowing. He would have to teach her not to do that later.

That move was too seductive.

"You haven't heard of the god of punishment?" he asked her incredulously.

She shook her head again.

He knew a good many nanny's among the nobility threatened to feed the kids to Ultor if they didn't behave. Graciella would sometimes shudder at the mention of Ultor's name back when he had married her. How did Olivia not know who Ultor was? This was really weird.

"-I," Olivia realized the time had come. She was exposed as a fraud. 'Damn pop-culture! Of course she didn't know who that was! It wasn't mentioned in the novel!' "-I hit my head."

"You stutter when you lie," he observed aloud.

"I do not!" She really believed herself.

He smiled. "I think I'm going to like being married to you."

"Wait," Olivia started. "About that... Can we still annul that? ...I can go to a different convent and-"

"Not possible," he narrowed his eyes at her. "We're already married."