13 Adarian's plan enacted

The Officiator he had instructed to disrupt the wedding plans visited Kind Adarian right after leaving Marquis Praxis home. He did not have to disrupt anything at all. The young Lady Olivia had done that all on her own. He had a copy of the engagement annulment in his hands right now.

What had changed? Why would Olivia insist on an annulment? She wanted nothing more than to escape that house in the Diary he had read. She had written how excited she was for this marriage to take place so she could finally be free. He didn't know what had changed, but it was a blessing in disguise.

He didn't know if this would change anything, but he had the Officiator on standby just in case. As the Officiator left the room, one of his secret guards came in. He remembered this man from his past life. This man tried to stop Adarian's personal guard from killing him, but failed. He probably died right after that. He could trust this man. Adarian had ordered him to go spy on the proceedings, and also put a stop to them if the Officiator failed.

"Your majesty," the man bowed. "I have the information you wanted. First the rumors around the nobility right now are saying that Lady Olivia is too ambitious. She already has the future Duke, and now she wants the seat of the Queen. They are saying she seduced you to spite all the young ladies who have fallen for you and want you for their own, and that she is a drug addict." Adarian clenched his jaw as he listened to this. Some of this was expected. But naming her a drug addict? He continued to listen. "Secondly, the annulment has gone through and The Lady Olivia Praxis is to be sent to the convent in the south as soon as she is accepted. Right now due to her improper conduct she had been locked in her rooms, and is not to have contact with anyone."

"The Southern Convent!" Adarian stood up. This was bad.

The damn founder of this country had put into the foundation of this country, the Freedom of Religion Act. If he got rid of this Act, the country would cease to exist. The Southern Convent followed the ancient Teachings of Ultor. The god of punishment. He was the god who created a list of sins, and the appropriate punishments that went with those sins.

If she was sent to the Southern Convent, she might die. If a woman had sex before marriage and was sent to the convent they were beaten almost to death. If they lived they were forgiven and could join the convent, and if they were not forgiven they would die. But this was if their only crime was sex before marriage. Olivia would likely be punished for every "sin" Graciella had ever committed. Graciella would probably hand the list of sins directly over. Olivia would be beaten every day for at least a month, if she lasted that long! Was she stupid? He panicked monetarily. Then he sat.

"What's your name?" Adarian knew this man was loyal. He felt bad not remembering people's names.

"Davier," said the secret guard.

"Like the god of Trust," Adarian nodded to himself. "Fix the rumor."

"...??" The man looked confused.

Adarian sighed, "The truth is that I coveted my little cousin's bride and ruined their engagement on purpose." Adarian smiled. This rumor wasn't so bad. He had never told Olivia that the reason he had acted like such a rake was because he was trying to get back at Oscar. He never explained to her why he brought her back to his castle and made her sleep in his bed.

Revenge against his cousin wasn't the only reason he had taken her from the ball though. He was genuinely concerned when he saw the hives appearing, and her fever spiking. He took her away so she could get treated in private, by a trusted doctor who wouldn't spread it around that it was due to drugs. There should not have been a rumor that Olivia had done drugs. The rumor hadn't spread from his castle. So it must have spread from Graciella's end. "Go" He dismissed Davier.